XXX

↱"And what does anyone know about traitors, or why Judas did what he did?"↲

"And what does anyone know about traitors, or why Judas did what he did?"

-Jean Rhys.

where we left off/the armored titan

THEY WERE HALFWAY TO REACHING THE ARMORED TITAN before they realized that distracting it wouldn't work anymore.

They needed to kill it, kill Reiner.

This thought didn't trouble Katerina as much as it did the rest of the squad. Regardless of the number of times Katerina had told them to snap out of it, they were incapable of actually registering that and continued to feel remorse for the things they needed to do.

"We have to do it," Katerina shouted at Jean who was the closest to her as they approached the Armored Titan.

Jean didn't need her to elaborate, unlike the rest of the squad, he didn't feel any particular way about killing Reiner.

To him, it was just another Titan to slay.

"Squad!" she yelled, drawing all of their attention as her stark black hair flew in front of her face. "We are doing a coordinated attack! Get your Thunder Spears ready and by Walls, please be careful when you use them!"

They all nodded their heads in agreement, some more gingerly than others as they began circling the Armored Titan who looked powered up and back to its former glory.

Mikasa was the first to attack as she launched a Thunder Spear into its knee, this time flying away like she should have before as it exploded.

Just behind Mikasa, a huge blast of steam burst into the sky, and Katerina's gut filled with a particular emotion she had felt before.

Armin.

It was the same feeling she had when Eren almost died by the hands of a Titan and the same feeling she had the first time she entered the Forest of Giant Trees.

Armin.

The nagging voice in the back of her head needed to go away as Jean flew in front of the Armored Titan's face, distracting it long enough for Connie and Sasha to shoot their spears on either side of its jaw.

Armin.

Katerina saw Sasha fly through the air, pounding against the side of the building after the Armored Titan had swatted her away.

Armin.

Mikasa circled back to Katerina, a curious look on her face almost as she could tell what she was thinking.

Armin.

"Until the end," Katerina whispered, grabbing her hand as Connie's Thunder Spear wouldn't detach.