XXV

↱"Older men declare war

"Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die."

-Herbert Hoover.

where we left off/the fight

REINER'S TRANSFORMATION WAS JUST AS GRUESOME AND TERRIFYING AS THEY REMEMBERED, but what was even more terrifying was that just beyond the inner wall, they could all see a horde of pure Titans.

And even worse, they had a friend.

Katerina had never laid eyes on the Beast Titan but she remembered the brief encounter that Eren and the kids had with it at Utgard Castle.

And it was just as horrific and hairy as they described.

Katerina didn't focus on Reiner at that moment because the Beast Titan had begun throwing boulders at them. His first attempt landed a boulder right at the inner gate, sealing it so that the horses could not get into the Singanshina District.

Squad Levi ignored Reiner for the moment, instead, following Levi's order to rendezvous with Erwin at the top of the inner wall.

"What's going on?" Levi asked Erwin immediately after landing.

"They're trying to trap us..." Katerina said, mulling over that thought. "This was planned to go down just like this."

"It's quite alright," Erwin said finally, trying to adjust his bolo tie with one hand. "This gives us both the chance to settle everything once and for all."

Katerina managed to suppress the growl that was threatening to escape her lips as she heard Erwin speak, he seemed almost..excited by this prospect.

"Fucker," she whispered to nobody in particular as she analyzed him. Erwin was cool, calm, and collected, and she might have been confused but she could have sworn she saw a hint of amusement circling in his blue eyes and tingling in his upper lip, almost as if he were trying to contain a smile.

This is exactly what he wanted.

"Your orders?" Levi asked confidently, standing beside Erwin as he looked toward the Armored Titan. "I'm assuming we'll get them at some point."

Katerina raised her eyebrows up in surprise, somehow she had figured that Levi would be oh so willing to follow in whatever orders Erwin gave, but hearing his tone of voice as he glared at his Commander made her realize that he was nowhere near happy with the predicament Erwin had trapped them in.

Katerina two.

Erwin zero.

Erwin smiled down at Levi and shrugged his shoulders, they were tense but he somehow managed to always look at ease when it suited him best.