twenty

《CHAPTER TWENTY》

DESPITE THE FACT that Carter was happy to be at school, lunch was still her favourite part of the day

DESPITE THE FACT that Carter was happy to be at school, lunch was still her favourite part of the day. Because of the fact that she was ahead due to the lab, classes were boring. She already knew everything the teacher was talking about, but at lunch, she got to enjoy herself and talk more with Aiden and Elias and learn more about them.

She found out that Aiden had a younger brother and that Elias was an only child. Whenever the topic of her family life came around, she'd say that she was also an only child and attempt to avert the conversation back to them. She didnt think that saying something along the lines of 'Oh, I don't know if I have any siblings. I don't even know if my parents are alive! I've actually been brought up by a really mean doctor who likes to torture me! And now I live with the Avengers! Cool, right?' would be a good idea.

Throughout the day, a few little things, such as a teacher calling her name, gave her minor flashbacks to the lab, but there was nothing too serious. The flashbacks weren't completely faded and she was almost positive they never would completely fade, but they got much less frequent, now only occurring when something major happened, such as flying over the ocean. Or when she slept. She may have been lucky enough to mostly escape the horrors during the days, but the night terrors didn't look like they were going to be leaving any time soon.

Sitting at the table in the large cafeteria, she felt quite happy to be around people her age. The Avengers were pretty fun (sometimes), but having people her own age for once was refreshing.

Even after only having spent a day with them, she could definitely tell that Elias was more of an outgoing type, while Aiden was more shy and reserved. They balanced each other out and got along nicely.

It was slightly awkward sitting with them as it was obvious that they had been friends for a long time, but she appreciated the fact that they were trying to include her in their conversations.

Unfortunately for her, they were mostly talking about things that she had never heard of before, such as Star Wars, Lego and video games. As soon as she asked what Star Wars was, she got two incredulous looks and a loud gasp from Elias. Then, the two boys took it upon themselves to spend the rest of lunch time explaining to her the 'best super-duper thing to ever exist', to quote Elias. After that, she thought it best to do her research on the other stuff they mentioned when she got home, so they didn't think that she was some alien who didn't know anything about normal kid's interests.

~\☆/~

As soon as she located the car after school and opened the door, Tony bombarded her with questions.