thirty

《CHAPTER THIRTY》

CARTER HAD COME TO realise that almost everyone who had met Tony Stark had wanted to punch him at least once in their life

Tony had been kind to her, there was no denying it, but he did have a tendency to be irritating.

When she arrived back at the facility, she had calmed down a considerable amount. She regretted being so dramatic and snapping at Tony like that, but the cold, hunger and slightly hurtful words from him had set her off the edge.

Her chat with Aiden had helped, along with getting changed into cosy pyjamas after a hot shower and some food.

She decided to leave talking to Tony until the next day as she didn't think it would be wise to just strut into his office after fighting with him.

So, she got into her bed with a bowl of popcorn and she watched a movie. Her foot was tapping along to the beat of one of the songs when she reached down to grab another handful of popcorn. The tingly feeling of a portal came to her fingers, but she never really felt that anymore, having come accustomed to it after so long.

But when her hand searched for the salty food and instead found the cold bowl, her foot went still and she looked down curiously.

No more popcorn was left in the bowl, despite the fact that it had been at least half full only moments ago. But her queries were answered when the lost popcorn rained down onto the foor of her bed from a portal.

Carter was confused once again. Something similar had happened--not that long ago--with a bottle of water.

Were her portals broken? Somehow malfunctioning?

Her nightmare from a previous night came back to her. One in which Dr. Smith had visited her in the woods outside of the Avengers facility.

"Don't bother trying with the portals. I gave you those powers, it's easy for me to take them away."

Was that the truth, or was it just something her sleeping mind had thought up? Perhaps it was some worry that she had deep down. But surely he couldn't just take her powers away or control her. But then, how come they started acting up after she had that dream?

Butterflies erupted in Carter's stomach at the thought of Dr. Smith being able to control her. Being able to move her wherever he wanted, being able to make her hurt whoever he wanted.

A yawn escaped from the young girl despite her racing mind. She decided to go to sleep in order to get away from the unwanted thoughts. Perhaps sleep was what she needed to calm the worries her mind was thinking up anyway.