Chapter 2

"Did you get the job?", Alani asks as soon as I answer the phone.

I had sent her a text telling her I was finished, and she called me before I could even put my phone up.

"Alani, I literally just walked out of the building. They only told me that since the big bosses were the people who interviewed me, they would let me know within the next few hours."

"Well, how did it go? Were you confident the whole time?", she questions and I nod as if she could see me.

"Yes ma'am, I sure was.", I answer. "Looked them in their eyes as I spoke and everything."

"As you should have. Let me know what they say. I have a date to get to.", she says, making me smack my lips.

"Alright then, talk to you later."

I hang up and place my phone into the cup holder.

My thoughts consume me as I make my way back home.

Here I was, in my prime, but married with no kids.

I sometimes question my marriage with Dean, only because of loneliness, but my love for him always answers my questions.

We've been together since we were 16, and each year has always been better than the other... except for this one.

He was deployed earlier this month, and I miss that man more than anything.

That's why I decided to get a job.

Being in that house all day is so boring, not to mention the loneliness. I felt like I was gonna drive myself crazy if I didn't do anything.

Then, the next thing I know, I get an email from the nearby prison, saying that there was an opening for a position as a correctional officer.

I have always wanted to work in a prison for some unknown reason, and this was my chance. I even went to a training academy when I got out of high school, but Dean didn't want me working in an environment like that. Can you say time wasted?

Since my sister is the manager of her job and is normally the interviewer of potential employees, she helped get me ready.

Here I am, the following week, on my way home from a successful interview.

My thoughts were interrupted by the breaking news on my radio. I don't listen to music often.

I don't know why, but I like listenening to news and talk shows. I think it's because I'm nosy and I like being other people's business.

"The notorious, gang affiliated Ko-" The reporter's voice gets cut off by static.

"Damn it.", I mumble, speeding past the many trees to get the news back.

"The kingpin was charged with capital murder, first degree kidnapping, possession of a controlled substance, and possession of a firearm, and he was sentenced to 2 life sentences plus an additional 45 years."

"At this very moment, parole is not an option."

"Wow, dude ain't ever getting out.", I say aloud, shaking my head.

I eventually pull into my driveway and turn my car off.

Hopping out, I unlock my back door and walk inside.

I kick my heels off and slide my slippers on and go straight to my room to change clothes.

I pull my skirt and shirt off and throw a random pair of shorts on.

That's literally the only good part about living alone. Walking around half -or maybe even completely- naked.

My phone rings from downstairs making me sigh.

I jog down the many stairs, making sure to hold onto the rail to keep from falling.

"Hello?", I say into the phone, trying to keep from sounding out of breath.

"Good evening, is this Mrs. Caesar?", the man on the other end asks.

"This is she.", I answer, feeling my nervousness set in.

"I'm Mr. Johns, your interviewer for today.", he says. "I'm calling you in regards of our decision."

I go silent, waiting on him to finish talking.

"After further discussion, we have decided that you got the job. We look forward to seeing you tomorrow morning."

"There is one small issue, though.", he begins and my heart drops.

"We have a shortage in staff and we need you the most in the maximum security block, so we would need for you to start there. Would you still be willing to begin tomorrow?", he questions and I take a minute to think.

It's now or never, Armani.

"I'll be there.", I answer shortly. "That's great! We look forward to seeing you tomorrow."

"Yes sir, you sure will." And with that, I hang up with a wide smile.

I immediately text my sister, telling her the good news.

Checking the time, I see that I have time to run and get some shoes for work. Another excuse to get out of the house.