Chapter 3

The Next Morning...

With a deep breath, I walk into the prison and I'm met with the same man from yesterday.

I was wearing a plain t-shirt and a pair of basketball shorts since they had yet to give me my uniform.

"Good morning, Mrs. Davis. I appreciate your punctuality.", he tells me and I give him a smile.

"It's no problem. I live nearby anyway.", I respond.

"That's good to know. Here's your uniform. There's a bathroom right over there.", he tells me and hands me my clothes.

I go into the unisex bathroom, not forgetting to lock the door, and quickly put my clothes on.

Once I'm done, I walk back out to meet the man, who I soon figured out to be the warden.

"Allow me to show you around. Afterwards, I will answer any questions and pair you up with a more experienced officer to help you out a little."

I give him a nod and he begins my tour.

Time Skip...

"Well, Armani, do you have any questions?", Warden Johns asks me and I shake my head.

"No, sir.", I answer.

"Great, and here's the officer you will be shadowing for the next few days.", he tells me, and on cue, an older man walks towards me.

"Officer Grambling, this is Armani. She's our newest correctional officer. She will be shadowing you for the next few days.", Warden Johns says, and with that, he walks away.

Officer Grambling steps in front of me and holds out his hand.

"It's nice to meet you, Armani.", he says and I shake his hand. "Likewise."

"How long have you worked here?", I ask him, breaking the silence.

"July would make 15 years.", he answers.

"And you like it?", I question with a raised eyebrow.

"I mean, there are a few frustrations here and there, but that comes with every job. It isn't anything I can't handle, though."

"What's the worst part?", I ask him, and he takes a second to think. "The spontaneity."

"You never know what's gonna happen. You don't know if anyone woke up on the good or bad side of the bed, so it's best to keep your guard up at all times.", he explains to me, and I nod.

Later That Day...

I opened the door to my house and damn near ran to my room.

Jumping into my bed, I take in the comfort of my memory foam mattress and silk sheets.

"Lord knows I missed this.", I mumble, taking a few minutes to get myself together.

I close my eyes and attempt to mentally reflect on today's events.

My phone rings beside me, and I look at it, debating on whether I want to answer it or not.

I decide against answering and let it continue ringing. Whoever it is can leave a message if it's that important.

My eyes become heavy as I lay in that one comfy spot in my bed.

Before I know it, I'm out like a light.