Chapter 18

Just as I said I would, I took a nap.

It lasted a few hours, and when I woke up, the sun had set and the lights were off.

Voices could be heard downstairs, and once I slide my slippers on, I make my way on down.

"Is that you, 'Mani?", my sister's voice asks and I nod as if she could see me. "Yeah."

She and Dean were seated in the living room, watching old reruns of Martin on the TV.

"We've been waiting on you.", Dean tells me, scooting over in his seat.

However, I sit on the empty couch and ball up, bringing my legs to my chest and holding them with my arms.

"I have to come clean about something.", I tell them, getting straight to the point.

"What is it?", Dean asks me, turning the TV off and giving me his full attention.

Alani turns in her seat so that she was facing me and does the same.

"I may have put us in danger.", I say.

"How?", they question simultaneously.

"Um..", I clear my throat, "you know how I was working at the prison for a little while?"

They both nod, staring at me in curiosity.

"Well, while I was there, I met an inmate."

As if he knew where the story was going, Dean tilts his head.

"Just to keep it short and simple, I had an affair.", I say, dropping my head in shame.

"I can go on and on about how sorry I am, but it won't take away anything that I did.", I add.

"I broke everything off the day after you had came back, and umm..", I pause.

"He kinda threatened to kill us.", I finish, and Alani sighs.

Dean's face showed heartbreak, and I felt terrible.

"Wow..", he mumbles, looking away.

"Not gonna say that I'm not hurt, but I still have a surprise for you.", Dean says and I give him a weird look. "Tell her, Alani."

"I'm pregnant.", she says, and lifts her shirt so that a small bump could be seen.

I give her a wide smile but it drops as soon as she speaks again.

"With Dean's baby."

Confused, I say, "Come again?"

"I'm not in the Air Force, Armani. I was slowly falling out of love with you, so I've been living with your sister for the last few months, and yes, I was having an affair.", Dean tells me.

"But with my si-" I cut myself off when I notice that the bushes outside were moving.

"Wha-" "Shhh."

Placing my finger over my lips, I signal for them to be quiet.

"He's back.", I whisper and they look at me like I'm crazy.

"What? Who's back?", Alani questions, trying to look through the window.

"It's him.", I answer, and as I expected, a dark figure walks past.

"Armani, who is that?", Dean asks me as he slowly got out of his chair.

"The devil himself.", I answer, and get on the floor too.

"You damn skippy.", a voice says from the hallway.

Kobe slowly emerges from the dark hallway and my eyes widen.