Chapter 17

Armani

The next few days were heaven, to say the least.

I was growing closer to my husband and Gram even checked up on me a few times.

"Good morning, babe.", Dean says, coming into the kitchen.

He was wearing his running gear, so I assume he's about to leave.

"Good morning." He gives me a soft kiss before sitting at the counter, watching me as I cooked breakfast.

"What you making?", he questions.

"French toast, eggs, and allat good shit.", I answer and he laughs.

"Bet, but can you wrap mine up? I want to take a quick jog around the park before I eat.", he asks and I nod.

"Sure, can you pick up some juice from the store on your way back too?"

"I gotchu. I'll be back in no more than an hour.", he tells me walking out.

"I love you!", his voice yells from the door, and I respond with a simple, "I love you too!"

The second the door closes, I turn the radio on and tune it to the news station.

"Breaking news, all suburban residents, the notorious and very dangerous Kobe Crawford escaped from prison last night and is currently on the run."

My heart drops to my stomach and my breathing comes to a temporary halt.

"No one has seen him yet, but for your safety, get home immediately and lock all of your doors.", the reporter continues and I turn the stove off.

"Hey Siri!", I yell to my phone . "Call My World."

The calling screen comes up and I grab it from the counter, only to hear his ringtone.

"What the hell?", I mumble, following the noise.

On the kitchen table was Dean's phone and I facepalm.

"This nigga..", I say to myself.

A loud crash from upstairs interrupts my thoughts, damn near making me jump out of my skin.

Scared was an understatement. I was terrified.

"Should I go look?", I ask myself, having a mental battle.

"Fuck it.", I mumble and run up the stairs.

I stop by my door and peek through the door, only to see my broken window with a shoe among the shattered glass.

"Dean...", I whisper, my heart pounding in my ear.

Slowly walking towards the wreckage, I pick the shoe up, only for a small piece of paper to be attached to it.

I pull it off and read it.

"It's over when I say it's over.
Love forever, NoCap."

"Oh my God...", I mumble, and on cue, someone knocks on my front door.

Too scared to move, I sit in a ball in the middle of the floor.

I hear the door open and heavy footsteps.

"Armani, Armani, Armani.", Kobe's deep voice says from downstairs, followed by loud crashes.

"I warned you more than once, did I not?", he questions, making even more noise.

"I love you way too much to kill you, but I promise you, it ain't over until NoCap sings."

A car pulls into the driveway and the noise from downstairs comes to an abrupt stop.

"I see you called your little friend.", his voice continues to taunt.

"I'll be back later." And with that, he leaves.

Bawling, I laid in the same position on the floor.

After a minute or so, Gram rushes into my room.

"Mani, what happened?", he asks me as he squats down beside me.

"I-I.." Unable to get the words out, I break down into his arms.

"NoCap?", he asks and I nod, still crying.

"I came by to warn you, but it's obvious you already know. You and your husband need to leave as soon as possible. This isn't safe, especially now that he knows where you live."

"He's done this before, Armani. That's why he was in prison in the first place.", he adds.

"Armani!", Dean's voice yells, followed by his footsteps coming up the door. I can't but help to notice his missing his shoe.

"Is everything okay?", he asks, taking me out of Gram's arms.

Standing up, Gram tells me, "Armani, you need to tell him what's going on. Now, I'll call to check up on you later."

I nod and watch him as he walks back out.

"Um, Dean?", I say, and he places his finger on my lips, shushing me.

"Before you say anything, I have a surprise.", he tells me and pulls his phone out.

He sends someone a text and within seconds, the front door opens again and more footsteps are heard.

"What the hell is going on in here?", Alani questions and rushes to sit down by me.

"Are you okay?", she questions further, examining my face.

Pushing everyone's hands away, I finally speak.

"I'm about to take a nap, and when I wake up, we need to talk."