14. Spellbound

I wake with a start, feeling dizzy and disoriented. Did I got too much to drink? Because my head is pounding like I drank all the wine in the universe last night at dinner. God.

I'm not home, that I notice when my eyes finally peel open and my right  hand that feels heavy comes into view sporting a brand new one of those finger thingy that they put on you when you're hospitalized. My last memory scraps the back of my conscience and I froze on my spot.

The trial, the court room, the dais, the magic restriction and finally the dust... The spoiled dust to be exact.

I have never been able to produce fairy dust, it is part of the 'curse'. I'm not actually curse, but mom likes to refer to my incapacity to control my magic like it is a curse. The fairy dust has way too much to do with the willpower, I mean, you gotta really be sure of your magic and how to use it to be able to produce the dust.

Dust is the physical representation of magic and power, it is like the final step to be a super magical being. If you can exteriorize the magic and make it something tangible you got it at all worked out, to some people the dust comes naturally almost like they freaking sweat it, but with others like yours truly–myself– it doesn't.

Until yesterday I was never able to produce that amount of magic to actually transfer it to something tangible. I was always like a carnival magician, more into the trick of hands and the little acts of mischief than actual spells, curses and bullsh*t.

"You are awake" The soft voice gets me out of my thoughts and I try to keep the frown out of my face. Solen to this point has proven to be more an ally  than an enemy, but it stills surprises me to wake up to her at my bedside.

"That appears". She smiles lightly at my childish response, but doesn't replies to it.

"Where am I? Where's my brother? Where's my mother?"

"You are at the Royal Bound Hospital, your relatives are indisposed at the moment, so I decided to make you company for a while" There's a pause in her speech, probably because I started to move anxiously after she delivered the 'indisposition' of my family "They are okay, Ms. Mannor. When you got us all spellbound in the court room, your mother and brother were needed to reverse the effects of your magic, the two of them are just taking a respite".

"Excuse me, Solen, but you're saying nonsense, I'm not able to make a spell and obviously I can't bound anyone with one and lest alone almost two hundred royals" And I wasn't capable to produce dust until yesterday... in a court room that supposedly restricted the magic. The pounding in my head just increased a tenfold.

"I am known for a lot of things, Ms. Mannor, but speaking nonsense if not one of them" she giggles and it remains me of bells, like her mother, so I instantly relax a bit into the hard hospital bed.

"So, you're telling me that I'm powerful enough to produce fairy dust sufficient to fog an entire court room with it, a court room that is suppose to restrain magic, and to then have over 100 hundred people spellbound without actually uttering a word?" I make a pause, out of breath " And that you guys needed not just one, but two of the most powerfuls fairies that had ever existed to reverse the effects of my spell?" I laugh, hard and unladylike, until my bedroom door is thrown open and I sit as upright as I can when Dawn strides into the room.

"You are not allowed to be here, Solen" Straight to the point, cold and almost rude.

"I have the right to be wherever I please" she snaps back as cold as his brother "If you do not remember it, I I am a royal too, as she is, as you are, but most importantly, I am the second to the throne of our country until you are wedded and have a child. I have been groomed all my life too, to support the weight of a kingdom over my shoulders".

Sensing the family feud that doesn't have to do with me I shift uncomfortably in my bed... Am I a royal?

"Yes, you are" the two of them answer and I notice that I said that out loud.

"I'm not, my mother... She resigned to her Royal status when she became evil" Momma was the most powerful fairy of her realm and when she became evil she had to give up her 'Queen' status if you want to call it something, because her subjects were too afraid of her to even show themselves in the fairy realm. And the human realm, where we are right now doesn't hold to our monarchy problems.

"When the treaty was placed, she took back her position in the court" Solen explains softly "Yes, your family does not reigns over the fairy realm anymore and the titles are not there either, but your lineage is part of the Royal bloodlines and the court".

Dawn moves and places a hand over his sister's arm "That is enough, she needs to rest and you do to".

Solen in all her dignified glory stands up and walks side to side with her older brother, before she goes, she quietly says "I will be back, spellbinder".