Chapter Seven

"I won't know anybody."

"Bullshit, the entire year is invited. Are you telling me you've made no friends?" Cleopatra stared at me, challenging me to accept her invitation to someone's party tonight.

"I've not met Cam though, and it's his house." I argued as I stabbed at the salad I'd made for my pack up.

"Fine, oi! Cam!" She bellowed across the common room. A guy dressed in a bright green suit turned and approached us.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, glaring at her as she shushed me.

"What's up Pat? Hey, you must be Tyr, nice to meet you." The guy scanned me quickly, but there was no anger or intrigue in his features, only genuine sincerity.

"You too." I murmured, flicking my eyes back to Cleopatras.

"We were talking about the party tonight." She leant forward, one hand cupping her cheek as she rested her elbow on the arm of the chair. "Tyr doesn't know if he should come."

"Yes, you should definitely come! It's a laugh, we've got drinks and food sorted - you've just got to turn up. No pressure though, like... I'm not going to force you to come round." He laughed as he spoke, and I felt myself warming to him a little.

"What's the theme tonight?"

"Theme?" I stared at him as he nodded.

"It's action characters, I think Megan said she was going as Elle Woods." He rolled his eyes, "I've tried asking if she counts as an action hero but she got a bit grumpy so I'm letting it drop."

"We've got to dress up?" I shook my head, "That's not really my thing-"

"You don't have to dress up!" Cam dived forward, "honestly, you can come wearing whatever you want as long as, you know, you aren't flashing anyone or anything." Cleopatra held a hand over her smug smile as Cam gave us a wave. "See you tonight Pat. Hope you can come mate, if you don't I have these parties all year round."

Cleopatra waited for me to answer with wide eyes as Cam finally walked away. "I don't think-"

"Please!" She begged, "I think you'll enjoy it! You'll have fun! You can blame me if you don't have a good time."

I bit my lip, but gave in to her. I needed to get out and actually make a few real friends this year after leaving the few I had on the other side of the town. "What time do we need to get there?"

Her face split into a grin, and she tucked back in to her pasta. "Between seven and eight? You can come to mine first, it's not a long walk from where I live."

"Will your dad mind?" I asked carefully, aware of how protective some parents are of their children.

"As long as you don't fuck a girl in your car in front of my house you'll be absolutely fine." She grinned, wiping the sauce from her finger on a tissue before binning the empty tray of food.

"I've got nothing to worry about then." I smiled, shoving my empty lunchbox into my bag as people around us began leaving to walk to their next classes.

"I'll see you in English later?" She asked as we stood up, and I nodded.

"Text me your address yeah?"

"Duh, how else are you meant to meet me?" She pushed my shoulder playfully before waving at a group near us. I sighed, and trudged in the opposite direction, tagging behind a group of year nines as I walked to my class.

***

I hesitated on the doorstep, looking up at a small detached house. From the small descriptions Cleopatra had given me, this was definitely her house. Succulents were visible on every windowsill, and the flower beds in the front garden were overflowing in colourful bursts.