65 | Fourteen and Pregnant

Backaches, jaw pain, nausea. In men, these things are probably exactly what they seem like. But in women, they're all symptoms of a heart attack. Sometimes the symptom is actually hiding what's going on underneath. It's all in the way it presents itself.

Placing Bear's food bowl down on the floor, I quickly let out a small whistle to let him know that it was breakfast time before grabbing my bag off of the counter and frantically searching through it for my keys.

Seconds later the familiar sound of Bear's nails clicking against the floor as he trotted over to his food bowl filled the kitchen. Owen wasn't far behind him, and when I glanced up to greet him, I noticed that he was wearing only a pair of baggy, black sweatpants. "Oh, is that the new Grey-Sloan uniform?" I chuckled as I pulled my keys out of the very bottom of my bag.

"I don't have to go in for a few more hours yet," Owen smirked as he pulled open one of the cupboards and took out a coffee mug. "unless I get called in, that is."

"Well, I, on the other hand, have a very thrilling shift in the E.R. waiting for me," I told him as I walked over to the front door and started to pull on my light jacket and shoes. "A shift that I am going to be late for because someone didn't remember to fill up the dog's food bowl last night."

Owen paused midway through pouring freshly made coffee into his mug. "I'm guessing that someone was me."

"Mmhmm." I gave him a mocking look. "If you'd like to make it up to me, maybe you could take Bear on a quick walk before you head out later?"

Owen shook his head slightly as he looked down at Bear, who had inhaled all of his food and was now sitting quietly by his side; his head tilted and eyes focused after hearing the magic word 'walk.' "How can I resist those eyes?" Owen knelt down and began wrestling with the rambunctious animal.

Letting out a small laugh, I waved goodbye to my fiancé—who was now lying on his back on the kitchen floor with our six-year-old husky on top of him—before heading out for the day.

══════════════════

Pulling my white coat on over my scrubs, I grabbed one of the tablets from the E.R. desk before making my way into the pit to look after my first patient of the day. Luckily, traffic had been nice to me and allowed me to arrive five minutes before my shift started, so I hadn't been late after all and didn't have an overflow of patients to care for right off of the bat.

After stitching up a little girl's chin after a bike-riding accident and admitting an older gentleman due to severe chest pain, I was greeted by a worried and slightly confused looking April. "You look lost." I smiled at her. "What's up?"

"You see that girl over there?" April pointed to a young girl, probably in her early teens, who was sitting in one of the E.R. beds.

I looked her over from afar before nodding. "Yeah, what's up with her?"

"Fourteen-year-old girl came in with what seemed like simple cold symptoms and complained about stomach pain," she told me before crossing her arms. "Now this is where it gets tricky. Came by herself on the bus, no parents in sight...and she's pregnant."

My eyes widened as I looked at the girl once more from where I was standing. "Pregnant at fourteen?"

"Yup." April sighed. "You mind giving me a hand for a few minutes? She seems kinda freaked out."

"For sure." I nodded.

Following April over to the girl's bed, I gave her a small smile as I read up on her file on my tablet. "Hi there, I'm Dr. Forrest." I introduced myself to her. "Dr. Kepner here told me that you're experiencing some abdominal pain. How long have you been feeling the pain?"