Chapter 3

Lisa meets Tzuyu at a photoshoot the first week she’s in Seoul. It’s one of at least six shoots that she goes to because apparently she’s in desperate need of new headshots. At least that’s what BamBam says. Lisa had tried to argue, but it was pointless.

“You’ve outdone yourself, Craft services,” Lisa mumbles to herself as she picks up an aged banana and inspects it.

“Sorry, all of this is left over from a photoshoot we did this morning with Red Velvet,” A female voice responds. When Lisa jumps and clutches her banana to her chest, the girl behind her continues, “Oh! Did I scare you? Sorry, I do that a lot.”

“It’s, ah, it’s fine,” Lisa waves a hand to dismiss the issue, “What were you saying?”

“The shitty food,” The girl points to the table, “I was just saying that it’s left over from this morning. I told Bruce that we needed to get something new for when you arrived, but he said no. He’s kind of a cheapskate.”

Lisa laughs nervously and nods, suddenly aware of how pretty the girl is. In fact, she figures that if you were to look up “pretty” in a dictionary, a full-body image of the girl standing across from her would be there. Her hair is so beautiful – Lisa’s sure that if she were to touch it, it would feel like feathers. Her skin is so pale and porcelain that Lisa thinks, if it were a shade lighter, she would be nearly translucent. Though the girl is dressed in business-casual attire, the clothes that cling to her frame seem just as delicate as she is.

Pretty. She’s pretty.

The girl nervously introduces herself when Lisa doesn’t respond, extending a hand out towards her, “I’m Tzuyu.”

Tzuyu. She’s Tzuyu.

“Oh, well, nice to meet you, Tzuyu. I’m Lisa,” Lisa shakes Tzuyu’s hand gingerly, noting how loose her grip is.

“I know,” Tzuyu blushes and Lisa wonders if she’s a real-life embodiment of the small woodland creatures that were animated in old Disney films, “I’m a fan of yours. Well, the truth is I only started watching your videos when I found out that we were going to be photographing you, but… still. I like your work.”

“My work,” Lisa laughs, “That’s really sweet, thank you. Did you say you were a photographer? I don’t think I noticed you taking photos earlier. And, well, I think I would’ve noticed…” Lisa glances over Tzuyu’s petite frame and then wonders why in the world she’s flirting with this girl.

“Oh! No, I’m not… I’m not a photographer. I want to be, one day, but not right now. I’m Bruce’s assistant,” Tzuyu smiles sheepishly and pushes a piece of hair behind her ear.

Lisa’s about to respond, but soon BamBam is by her side, scrolling through his Samsung phone and waving his hand, “You have a meeting in ten minutes, Lisa. Come on.”

“Tzuyu, this is my assistant, BamBam,” Lisa introduces her friend and now new assistant at her side, putting a friendly hand on his back.

BamBam’s eyes immediately snap up from his phone and widen at the shorter girl, “Your… what?”