Chapter 17

Lisa figures that she should call first. She made the mistake of abruptly dropping in on Jisoo, and that hadn't turned out too well. She can only imagine how Chaeyoung would respond to her showing up, out of nowhere, on her front porch with nothing more than a guilty smile and a faint 'guess who?'

Yeah, no. That can't happen. Instead, she toys with her cell phone in her hand and wishes that she still had her old phone number – she's sure that it would make coming clean to Chaeyoung a hell of a lot easier. She would call, Chaeyoung would know as soon as she saw the caller ID, and that would be that.

Lisa unlocks her phone and hovers her finger over the call button for a moment. She nearly jumps out of her skin when her text message tone goes off and the device vibrates in her hand.

The message is from Jisoo, and is nothing more than a simple:

》》Have you told Chaeyoung yet?

Lisa sighs and starts to type out a response, writing I'm about to tell her before quickly deleting the text. The message seems too promising. She feels like if she were to click send, Jisoo would hold her to her words and as of right now, she's not sure if that's something she can do.

She wonders why it is that the thought of visiting Mica in prison seems more appealing than speaking to Chaeyoung, even over the phone. Just as she's about to put off the whole ordeal one more day, her phone vibrates again.

》》Bitch, I know you read my last message. CALL CHAEYOUNG.

Lisa groans and quickly clicks on the call button on her home screen, dialing a number that's been stuck in her head for days.

"Hello?" The person on the other end picks up on the first ring, a female voice and all too familiar.

"Hey, Jennie. It's Lisa," Lisa responds, laying back on her couch and staring up at her ceiling.

"Who?" Jennie responds before laughing at herself, "I'm kidding. It's me, Jennie!"

"Yeah, dude, I know. I called you, remember?" Lisa rolls her eyes but can't deny that her lips quirk up at the sound of her voice, "I'm kind of in a rut right now."

"What's up?" Jennie asks and Lisa's pretty sure she can hear the sound of a bag of chips opening in the background.

"I haven't told Chaeyoung yet."

"Excuse me?"

"I can't do it," Lisa sighs, hand running over her face in exhaustion, "I told Jisoo and she passed out, dude. Like, her body was on the ground."

"Sounds hot."

"Can you not?"

"Sorry."

"What if Chaeyoung takes it worse than that? I can't just show up on her doorstep because that's too abrupt but I also can't call her because that's not abrupt enough. You know?"

"Sounds like you're in quite the pickle," Jennie says and Lisa can hear her chewing potato chips as she hums into the silence, "Want to know what I would do?"

"Usually no, but I'm at a loss here."

"Well, there's no way to get out of shocking her – you're coming back from the dead, Lisa. She's pretty much going to be completely freaked out. If I were you, I'd call her first – don't say much, maybe just be like 'Hey, it's Lisa. I'm totally alive' and then go to her place a little bit after that. That way she won't have an actual heart attack when she sees you through her peep hole."

"I don't know..." Lisa plays with the idea in her head, "Would that work? Would she even believe it if I told her it was me?"

"Good point. She probably won't, but... well, that's my only idea. I don't have much experience in this whole coming back from the dead business, you do know that, right?"