Chapter 15

[short chapter]

Midterms

I've been staying up all night shifting from my room to the outstretched balcony. I need to get 100% was what I kept telling myself. I've joined in a group study session, Jay who was supposedly the top student in our class was tutoring Daniel and after school, Duke takes over in the library, and Zoe's been helping Daniel from the convenience store prepare for his GED.

Today are when the exams start. I was seated at the very back and listened in to the examination rules. Watches placed on the desk? Check. Clear pencil case? Check. Phone? On silent and handed in. Notes? In the bag and out of the way.

I let out a shaky breath as my legs shook at the tension-filled air.

"Eyes on your paper. If you finish, review your work. No sleeping."

The exam begins. I look through each question, progressively triggering my memory of the material. I smile in satisfactory and scratched away with my answers.

The second period came along. Then third.

Skipping hours of training will pay off. It wasn't my first time I felt like this from studying.

The second day rolled around but it was no different. I sneakily looked around the room to see Daniel's been dozing off and awakening suddenly for- I lost count. Zack was struggling to answer the paper while he rubbed his head in frustration. Mira and Jay seem to be doing well.

I sigh and slowly get up from the seat. As expected the first to finish and triple-check their work ...again. I walk over to the front of the class and placed my paper in front of the teacher who looked extremely impressed.

I walked back, ignoring the student's reactions that were mixed with jealousy and shock. I shrunk into my chair and drifted to sleep. I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders but the anxiety for results day lingered close.

Results Day

"Okay. Quiet. The top student for midterms is...Ji-Young Lee!"

'What?! What's this?!' The class representative thought completely baffled like the rest of the class while they were clapping.

"You did exceptionally well in these questions particular. This is my first time seeing such a clever method of solving it in all my years of teaching. You are outstanding. Miss Ji-Young Lee, you scored 100 points on this exam!"

I bowed in respect and thanked her.

"Holy smokes, Ji-Young."

"She's smart too."

"Transferred and stole first place right away."

I took my seat, unfazed by all the compliments and attention I was receiving even if the reactions were different from what I expected.

"Second place, Daniel Park."

I smile as the class clapped loudly for him. I notice Zack's stressed face and while everyone was congratulating Daniel of his victory, I slid towards him and gave him a smile. I pat his shoulder in reassurance before making my way to the others.

I hadn't noticed Zack's face grow red. The stress he had was now slipping away at the thought of his fantasies coming true.

"Hey, look at the class rep. He's crying?!"

"Haha, what a loser."

"He slid down. Now he's bawling? Geez."

'Ji-Young Lee...I underestimated her.' He thought. When I saw him sobbing in defeat, I couldn't help but see myself.

Work hard. Struggle. Experience Success. Repeat.

Daniel looks at him in shock. He looked at the rep as if he was the one who did something wrong. 'He studied so hard! Zoe, I would've flunked math. Every day, she studied every night. Duke, he studied hard even when writing songs! Ji-Young she still came on top while juggling a number of things' He felt like he committed a foul.

The day came to an end and the sun was beginning to set. I walk home dialing James's number with a slight smile. I stop and I put the phone to my ear.

"Hi, Miss Lee" James spoke on the other side of the line. "100%" I choke out. He knew exactly what I meant and cheered and yelled to whoever was around him. I chuckle through my sobs.

"First place!"

"Our Ji-Young!"

"Nice! Our leader is the best!"

When your hard work pays off. Oh my lord, it's the best feeling in the world.

I wipe my tears and a relieved smile appeared. That feeling came clear...when I realised I had everything to be proud of.

Sorry, I rushed this chapter. I'll soon edit it along with my other chapters as you may be well aware, I've been trying to do. Thank you:)