3

mom: "[y/n]?"

y/n: "Yes?"

mom: "Go and give this to your dad, will you?"

y/n: "...but he's just there in the living room."

mom: "Just go and give it to him. Do you want me to have a head ache?"

y/n: "No."

mom: "Then go."

[Y/N walks to living room]

y/n: "Dad, you have some mail. Here."

dad: (silence)

y/n: "...the rent is coming up soon."

dad: (silence)

y/n: "Mom and I have some money, I just had to use some of my paycheck to buy my textbooks. We just need--"

dad: "You say too much. Just shut up and go to your room."

y/n: (silence)

[Y/N walks to room]

mom: "Did you give it to him?"

y/n: (nods)

mom: "You see? That's why I can't stand going in there to talk to him. He just runs his mouth and I'm tired of hearing it."

y/n: "You could just tell him to leave."

mom: "Do you want my blood pressure to go up?"

y/n: "No, but--"

mom: "You could always tell him to leave."

y/n: "Don't put me in the middle."

mom: "No one is putting you in the middle of anything, [y/n]. Now, here's some of the tips from tonight. Can you go and add money to our laundry card?"

y/n: "...okay."

mom: "Thank you."

y/n: "Actually, I was kind of wondering if... if I could ask you something."

mom: "If it's about your dad, then I don't--"

y/n: "No. No, it's not about him."

mom: "Okay. Ask away."

y/n: (clears throat) "Well... see, you know that group I really like? The musicians?"

mom: "Those Korean boys?"

y/n: "Mhm. They're having a concert near us."

mom: "Okay."

y/n: "And I was... you know, I was wondering if I could have just that night off and--"

mom: "[y/n], you know you can't do that."

y/n: (silence)

mom: "I need you at the shop. We have so many customers coming in unexpectedly. Who's going to serve them? Not just me, I can tell you that."

y/n: "What if we got someone to fill in for me? I could still come in for a few hours and then--"

mom: "No, and that's final. You can see them next time."

y/n: "I don't know if there's gonna be a next time, Mom, they're from South Korea."

mom: (sighs) "[y/n], don't be so dramatic. You don't even know these boys. They're not your whole life."

y/n: "I'm not saying they are. They're not. But for one night, I can't even go and see them?"

mom: "No. I'm sorry. You can't always get what you want."

y/n: "Yeah. I guess you can't."