Chap. 12

// Chris //

"Aye, I have an away game and I want you there," I said, kissing Milan's cheek. "I can't. I have a meet," she replied.

"So? Tell them you're sick or something." "I can't."

"Please, it's for me," I begged. "All right," she rolled her eyes.

"A'ight," I pulled her closer to me. After we left the restaurant I brung her back to my house so we could have some "alone time".

"Can you take me home now? I have to finish my essay," Milan sat up. "Get somebody else to write it."

"No, just come on." "All right," I sighed.

The car ride was silent besides Milan texting and the radio. "Can I help with your essay?" I asked.

"No, I'll do it... Plus my dad is home." "So?"

"So you can't come in," Milan opened her door. "Oh, I don't get a kiss either?"

She leaned back over and kissed my cheek then hopped out of the car.

// Milan //

"Hey, Nelle." My dad said as I was walking upstairs. "Hey."

Once I reached my room I sat on the bed and texted Blaze once again.

Instead of texting back, he called.

"Hello?" I answered quickly. "Damn, let it ring."

"Hush, what's up?" "What's up?"

"What was wrong with you today?" I asked. "Come over here."

________________________

Mr. Reed opened the door as I was walking up.

"Oh, hey," he smiled. "Hi, is Blaze in there?"

"Yeah, you can go in." He said, making his way over to the car.

"Blaze!" I shouted, walking inside the house. "Nigga, don't be screaming," he smiled, walking down the steps.

He flopped down on the recliner then propped his feet up on the table. I squeezed in beside him and looked at his face.

"Are you going to tell me why you did that today?" I asked. Blaze shook his head, "Because she tried to embarass me and Brendon was trying to be funny."

"You should've just read," I shrugged. "I can't," he replied.

The fact that he said it so nonchalant is what bothered me. How can you be in the twelfth grade but you can't read?

"Well, I can but not that good," he added. "Oh, sorry." I smiled.

"Nah, it's cool. It was bound to happen." "..."

"How do you manage good grades then?" "I'm barely passing... Coach is going to let me go soon if I don't step up."

"Do you want my help?" I asked. "No.. I need to do it myself."

I leaned in and kissed his cheek. Even if it was quick, it still lightened up the mood a little. Blaze smiled at me then wrapped his arm around me.

"What was that for?" He asked. I shrygged. "Can I get another one?"

I nodded, leaning into kiss his cheek again but he turned his head and kissed my lips instead.

What was wrong with me? Why would I even do this to Chris? Even if he done it before, two negatives don't make a positive. That night I finished my essay then called Chris.

"Hello?" He answered, groggily. "Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah but it's cool. Did you finish your essay?" "Yes."