Chapter 5

Kaminari walked through the streets of Tokyo, thinking of all the possible things that he could say to his mother. The day was cloudy and rather gloomy, and it was around 2 o'clock in the afternoon. 

Kaminari reaches his house and unlocks the door, then slams the door open and walks in. Kaminari's mom sits at the kitchen table, and she gets up rapidly as soon as she hears the loud thud of the door.

"Kaminari? Why did you-" his mom says, before being interrupted by an enraged Kaminari.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Kaminari shouts, putting a hand on his forehead.

"What do you mean?" she asks, rather obliviously.

"You know exactly what the fuck I'm talking about, mom! You were looking through my journal like the snoop that you are, and you decided that you had to be this overprotective hardass of a parent and call the cops on her? Who the hell does that?!" Kaminari asks.

"Kaminari, you need to listen to me. You're not thinking straight. Just come over here and sit down and we can talk through this calmly." she replies, trying to calm him down.

"What the fuck do you know, mom? Huh? You read something that I wrote and all of a sudden you're a detective or some crap?" Kaminari shouts.

"She tried to rob you!" she replies.

"She changed her mind! She didn't want to do it! The whole point was that she didn't rob me in the end! She's a good person! We were good! Now, because of you, she thinks that I set her up and sent her to jail!" Kaminari shouts.

"Well, It's better this way, Kaminari. She just, she was not someone that you should've been hanging around with! Just because she changed her mind doesn't mean that she won't try it again!" Kaminari's mom replies, growing more agitated.

"You know, what the hell's the matter with you, mom? Huh? Huh! Seriously, after all the shit that happened with you and Dad, now you're just gonna turn around and pull this crap on me?"

Kaminari's mom snaps at the remark about his father. Years of bottled up emotions led to a fit of rage, and she slapped Kaminari across the side of the face with great force, knocking him to the ground.

"Don't you dare talk about your father!" Kaminari's mom says, crying and standing over him. Kaminari puts his hand over his cheek and rubs it, shocked that his mother had hit him. He crawls away from her and stands up, then shakes his head and walks out of the house. Kaminari's mom sits back down at the kitchen table and cries, regretting what she had just done.

Kaminari was also partially crying from the fact that his mother had hit him, and he had wandered the streets of Tokyo for a while, unsure of what he was to do now. Kyoka was held up at the police station, but he had no money to bail her out. He knew that he needed money, and he needed it soon.

He walked over to the train station and bought a ticket to Toshima. He boarded the train and sat down in the same seat that he had sat in the day before. He looked out of the train window at the cloudy Tokyo skyline and started to cry to himself, his thoughts full of all the crap that had  unfolded in just the last few hours. He covered his eyes with his hands and wept to himself, feeling guilt, sadness, and shame.

When he arrived in Toshima, he walked to the front steps of Jirou's apartment and buzzed it. He was hoping that her roommate, Yaoyorozu, would be there to help him out somehow. Sure enough, she came downstairs. She had just gotten back from culinary school a few minutes earlier.

"Oh, hi there! Can I help you with something..?" Momo asked, seeing Kaminari. She noticed that his eyes appeared watery and that there were small droplets of tears on his cheeks, but figured it might have been rain or something.