Chapter 9

Several days had passed since Kaminari had left Kyoka and Momo's apartment. But everyday, however, Kaminari and Kyoka communicated with each other and talked for quite some time over emails.  If they didn't have time for each other, then they made time for each other.

Kyoka had thought more about her parents, and how Kaminari was so forgiving of his mother, even after she had hit him. You see, Kyoka had left her home in Kyoto because her parents were trying to get her to be something she didn't want to be. Which was bad, because even Kyoka didn't know what she wanted to be in life. 

Kyoka decided that she would come to Tokyo to try to find out what it was that she wanted to be. The problem was that in the six months she had been there, she still didn't know the answer. So after some days of thinking, she decided that she would at least visit her parents to talk to them, since she had not contacted them since she left.

Kyoka had messaged Kaminari and let him know of her plan, and she asked him if he wanted to come with her. 

"Aw sure, I'd love to go!" Kaminari said.

There was just one problem, Kaminari wasn't sure how his mother would react to it. He decided to tell her mom that he was going to stay at a friend's house for a while, and while it took quite a bit of convincing, she eventually let him go.

"Oh, alright. Just be careful, okay! Message me everyday to let me know how you're doing, okay?" she asked.

"You got it, Mom." he replied.

 He took some clothes with him and headed over to Kyoka and Momo's apartment. He buzzed their apartment, and Kyoka came running down almost instantly. She opened the door and hugged him as soon as she saw him, taking Kaminari by surprise.

"Hey you! How have you been?" Kaminari asked.

"Good, but I'm even better now that you're here." Kyoka responded.

"Me too." Kaminari said.

Together, they walked up to the apartment, and Kyoka had asked Yaoyorozu if she wanted to go.

"Go to Kyoto with you guys? Of course!" Yaoyorozu said.

"Wait, really? Are you sure? What about culinary school?" Kyoka asked.

"Ah, they decided to give us the rest of the week off to let the professor fully recover from his sickness. Probably not a good idea to be sick around food anyway." Momo said.

"Cool!" Jirou says, happy that both Momo and Kaminari will join her on this journey to see her parents.

"But..one question..how and when will we get there?" Momo asked.

"Well, I was actually planning on leaving today, and we can take the train, can't we?" Kyoka asked.

"No, they're down due to maintenance, remember? They won't be back up for another few days." Momo added.

"Crap, you're right, I almost forgot.." Kyoka said, remembering reading about that in the news earlier. She also remembered looking at rental cars earlier in the week, and got an idea.

"What if we rent a car? You know, what if we just drive there instead?" Kyoka said.

"Well, we both don't have our licenses yet, Kyoka." Momo said.

And then, the two girls slowly turned and looked directly at Kaminari, who was looking in the mirror at his eyebrows.

Kaminari noticed the sudden silence from the two girls and he turned to look at them.

"What?" Kaminari asked.

The three of them walked to the closest car rental place, Mori's Car Rentals. It was basically the Japanese equivalent of AVIS. The building was a few blocks away from the apartment, and it wasn't too busy when they walked in around noon.

At the front desk, a 20-something year old lady greeted them.

"Hi, welcome to Mori's Car Rentals. When is this rental for?" she asked, looking at the three of them.

"Today to Saturday." Jirou said, today being a Thursday.

The lady entered the dates into the computer and looked back up at them.

"What kind of car are you looking to rent?" she asked.

"A mid-size, if possible." Jirou said.

"Alright, and which one of you will be the primary driver?" she asked.

"I will," Kaminari said, holding his hand up.

"How old are you, sir?" she asked, looking at Kaminari.

"17, miss." he replied, his hands together.

"And do you have your driver's license?" she asked.

"No..but I have my provisional license.." Kaminari said, handing her his provisional license. Kaminari was holding up a thumbs up in his license picture.

"Sorry kid, I'm afraid I can't let you rent the car. The rule is that you need to have your full driver's license." she said, giving the card back to him.

"Oh come on, please miss! We really need to get to Kyoto and all of the trains are down!" Kaminari said to her.

"Well, if you really need to go that bad, then consider getting an adult or someone with a driver's license to take you there." the lady replied.

"No, that's not really an option.." Kaminari said.

"Then I'm sorry, but there's not much more that I can do." the lady said.

Kaminari sighed. 

"I understand. Well, thank you anyway." Kaminari said. He turned to look at Kyoka, who looked pretty upset. She was looking down at the ground and frowning. Kaminari put a hand on her shoulder.

"I'm sorry Kyoka, but I don't think we can visit your parents just yet.." he said.

"Yeah, that's too bad.  I was really hoping to go to Kyoto again." Momo said.

"It's fine..I just shouldn't have even got my hopes up so high in the first place" Jirou replied.

As the three of them turned to walk towards the door, the lady at the front desk overheard Kaminari mention Kyoka's parents, and she called for them to come back.

"Hey, wait a second." the lady called.

The three of them stopped, and looked back at her. The lady signalled for them to come back, and so they did.

"How good of a driver are you?" the lady asked Kaminari.

"I've been driving for over a year. I haven't had any tickets or anything like that, I always obey the rules, and I hardly ever speed. I'm a good driver." Kaminari said.

The lady looked at him for a while, then sighed.

"Let me see your card again." the lady said.

Kyoka smiled. She watched as Kaminari pulled the card out of his wallet again and handed it over to the lady. She typed in a few things into the computer, then several seconds later she responded.

"We have a 2012 Honda City, a 2018 Honda Civic, and a 2013 Ford Focus." the lady replied.

Kyoka smiles, extremely happy that she is letting them go on the trip after all, and exclaims "Yes! The Civic, please!"

The three of them high-five, their road trip being a success after all.