one; edited.

one - beginning

   As my mother and I walked through the rough snow, we kept quiet as this was our last night together.  She kept looking ahead through the snowflakes, trying to find the market through the blizzard.  

My father and older brother, Derek, were ahead of us trying to "protect" us in some way. My thin, lanky brother could not even protect me from a fly. 

Usually, any other day, I would join in the conversation, but I had a lot on my mind due to the upcoming events.  Tomorrow, I would be handed off to an unknown man, be wedded, and made to produce the next generation without any complaints and batts of the eye.  

Did I want this? Not exactly.  

I wanted to be loved.  I wanted a man who would care for me when I was sick.  I just wanted someone to love, to hold, and to cherish.  But instead, I would be paired with someone I do not know and who I do not hold feelings for. 

My mother and father were lucky.  They were married and already had my older brother when the new "government" and rules took over.  They were allowed to still be married but the wife had to follow the rules of the "respected housewife".  Not once in my life have I ever heard my mother speak back to my father when he ordered her around.  Simply, she would do whatever he said and in return, he would give her love and the support she needed, which is all she needed in her life.  

As we approached the steps of the market, Mother stopped me and made sure my coat was zipped up all of the ways and pushed my hair behind my ear before whispering lightly, 

"I'm not ready for you to go." 

Once she muttered those words, she grabbed me by my gloved hands and pulled me inside.  The market had been crowded today as everyone was getting ready for the ceremony, especially the men.  The Ceremony would be broadcasted for the world to see and this year, our town was hosting it down in the convention hall.  For our small town, it was a huge deal.  

As father led us down the aisles, I peered up to notice a well-built man with a petite girl by his side staring down the aisle back at me.  Once I made small eye contact, I put my head back down and did not say a word.  

"Darling, your father and I are going to ask the owner a question, do you think you'll be okay with Derek on your own?  I know he bothers you sometimes," Mother whispered in my ear.  I wanted to scream No but I knew I couldn't so I just stared at her before nodding my head. 

"I'll be okay, I'll just look at some novels and not pay attention to him," I muttered with a small smile, which Mother returned with a brighter one before walking off.  

I looked ahead of me to see a table of old, worn out novels scattered across it.  I was a junkie for old novels, especially The Outsiders and Gone With The Wind.

The only thing I did not notice was the pair of footsteps coming towards me until a rough grip on my arm awoke me out of the trance.  I looked up softly to see the man who was staring at me earlier with a smirk settling on his face once he saw my petrified look.  

"Tomorrow, you're the bosses.  You'll never escape him.  He's been waiting a long time for you," He said with a dark tone. 

I felt my skin pale when he said those words.  I tried to move away from him as quickly as possible but he held a tight grip and laughed at my petty attempts to escape his hold.  

"Please let me go, sir," I said, tears building in my eyes.  I've never been handled this way by anyone before, not even my own father.  I searched around for my brother but he was nowhere to be seen, which made me even more scared. 

"Hey, you'll be okay sweetcheeks.  You matter so much to him and you don't even know it, but don't worry... I think you'll be finding out very soon."

And with those final words, the scary man walked away from me and my brother showed up with a bottle of beer and a bag of chips.  

So much for him. 

Mother and Father came back with everything they needed before dragging us back to our house.  

All I knew is that tomorrow could be the start of hell. 

author's note;

I hoped you guys enjoyed the chapter.  sorry it has took me so long to edit and finally find an idea for this book I actually enjoy.  sorry for the wait :)

thank you, Maddie.