PART 3, SECTION 21

"You have no idea how much we never knew about Robert," Morgan said. "I couldn't believe the secrets I learned he'd been keeping. Did you know he used to have an account on this web site for married people who want to cheat on their spouses? I know that sounds creepy. It is, I guess. But at the same time, he was actually, like, the sweetest guy I'd ever met." Now Morgan started to cry. She wiped her eyes. "I think I was a little bit in love with him. I know it sounds so stupid, but I was." She heaved a sigh. "But, then, I don't know what happened. He started getting more and more distant. Then he started getting really rough with me. And then, that night, I got home, and he was waiting for me there in nothing but that stupid holster he liked to wear when we were fooling around. But this time he was completely out of his mind." She shrugged and looked into the distance. "And now he's gone. So that's the end of that."

I wondered if Morgan would say anything about Ian, or about kissing him. But either she didn't remember or she didn't want to say anything. I let it go.

"Morgan," I said. Mostly I couldn't stop thinking about how much pain she'd been in when Ian and I got to her house. "I'm so, so, sorry what he did to you."

She shrugged. "I lived."

I put a hand on her knee. 

"Look. A lot's happened while you were unconscious," I said. "Someone—the police or the military or someone, I don't know exactly—they took Shawn and Ian from the house. We can't even reach them. Their phones are off, and they're not calling."

Morgan shook her head. "What the hell is going on around here?"

"That's not all," I said. "I'm so sorry, but I don't think you're safe, Morgan. Before Ian got taken away, he was really worried about you. He thought someone would come after you. I don't know why, or who. But that's why we're here." I gestured at the hayloft. "Bryce has been helping me keep you hidden."

"But . . . what? I don't get it," she said. "What would anyone want with me?"

"I don't know, not exactly. But I think it has something to do with how you got so sick. I know you're feeling better now, but Ian didn't want to take you to the hospital because he was worried about what they'd do to you there."

I looked at my phone. I was going to be late for the funeral.

"I have to go to Mr. Hershel's service," I said. "There's no way I can get out of it. I don't really know if you'd even want to go or not, but you don't really have the option. We can't let anyone know where you are right now. You'll have to stay here with Bryce. I promise I'll be back in a couple hours. We'll figure out what to do then. Okay?"

Morgan nodded. "Okay," she said. "I won't go anywhere. Look, I trust you. Just hurry back. Seriously. Hurry back." 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;)  xxBailey