PART 5, SECTION 14

I couldn't watch any longer. I knew the pathogen was going into overdrive making Bryce crave intercourse, and now there wasn't anything he could do about it. Everything below his upper torso was useless and numb. It was driving him mad.

I had to focus on something else. If I stayed here doing nothing but stare at Bryce in his misery I'd start to go mad too. 

I stepped away and tried not to listen to Bryce's whimpering. Instead, I started rummaging through the bin of military rations Chris had been living on. I'd wanted to bring Morgan something to eat from the house, but when we all had to rush away, I didn't even have enough time to grab a jacket, let alone extra food. 

I found a pouch of vacuum-packed oatmeal and a sleeve of strawberry jelly at the bottom of the bin. It would have to do. I felt awful feeding Morgan like this. It was like she was some captured beast and I was bringing her a treat. But I refused to think of her as anything but human. I grabbed one of the kerosene burners and made my way as quietly as I could toward Morgan's silo.

When I unlocked the door, she was asleep. She was curled up in a little ball against the tin wall.

She actually looked peaceful.

It appeared as though she'd been surviving mostly on candy bars. There were wrappers scattered all around her unlit lantern. But she was breathing evenly. She was deeply at rest.

I remembered that Ian had said that she hadn't been sleeping well. Now that she was, I didn't want to wake her.

But I didn't want to leave, either. I felt comforted with Morgan nearby.

So, for a long time I just sat in the silo's quiet semi-darkness, listening to Morgan breathe, trying to figure out what the hell I was going to do now.

I knew I had to go back to the house. I still had to get Jason's pharmacy access card. Now that I was a wanted fugitive again, I had no idea how I was going to get it, but I had to. Somehow, I had to make Jason think I wanted to sleep with him. It was the only way. I refused to let Morgan progress to stage three. She'd be totally lost to me.

And it wasn't just for Morgan now. It was for all the refugees who needed help.

And it was for myself, too. If it turned out Bryce had infected me, there was no way I was letting myself progress past stage one. There was no way I was letting what was happening to Morgan happen to me.

Suddenly, a gunshot rang out. . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;)   xxBailey