PART 6, SECTION 15

"Well, anyway," I said. "I'll just have to find somebody else to party with. Now that you're out, jerk." I knew I had to try to start flirting with him. "The thing is," I said, "I'm so lonely, right now. I can't believe you stood me up. You owe me. You know? You owe me at least just one night. Honestly, I've been wanting you ever since that night at the fairgrounds. Can you really not get away? I thought you were the sergeant. I thought you didn't answer to anybody. Was that really all bull? I should have known you'd wimp out."

"I am the sergeant," Jason insisted idiotically. He actually sounded hurt. He was also starting to sound a little tempted. "It's just dangerous, that's all," he whispered. "I mean, we'd have to be really, really careful. Honestly, I've been thinking about you. You have no idea how bad I want your body, Ashley!" He laughed. "I really regretted not being able to make it last night."

I couldn't believe he was already taking the bait. All I had to do was question his masculinity, and I could get him to do anything. This actually had the effect of making me hate him even more.

"Well, where's a safe place?" I asked cautiously.

"I don't know. Like, a field. Somplace way out in the middle of nowhere. Someplace where I could be sure no one else was around to report me."

"I know a place," I said. "But look, if you don't show up again I'm finding somebody else. You have no idea how many of these rangers from outside have been coming on to me. I'll be behind the fairgrounds tonight just after sunset. There's a cottonwood tree in the middle of the first field behind the rodeo grandstands. I'll be there. Come find me. You know where I mean?"

"Yeah, I know where you mean," he said tentatively. "Look, Ash. If we do this we have to be really careful. We're totally out of Insta-Reads, so I can't test you. We have to use protection. Okay?"

I laughed. "Whatever you say, Sergeant. I'll bring a pocket full of rubbers with your name on all of them. Don't worry about it."

"And you still have the grasshoppers?"

"You bet I do," I said. "Don't be late. I swear to God this is your last chance, Jason. Don't let me down again."

Jason wasn't late.

I'd spent the rest of the day walking all the way to the fairgrounds. I'd reached the field behind the grandstands just before sunset. I'd sat against the cottonwood tree and waited in the last of the light.

And as soon as it was dark, Jason drove up alone in a small military SUV. As soon as he turned into the field, he cut off his lights and slowly drove toward the cottonwood tree in the dark. He was being extra careful.

"Get in," he said.

"Where are we going?"

"Just get in."

I climbed in. Without ever turning the headlights on, Jason slowly drove along an irrigation channel until we were four fields away from the fairgrounds. I could barely see the lights of town.

He cut the engine.

For a moment he just sat there in the dark, not moving or saying anything. He wasn't comfortable with this. He was nervous.

I reached into my pocket and took out one of the rubbers. I slipped it into his hand.

"Well, Mister Safety First," I said. "What are you waiting for?" 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;)   xxBailey