Chapter 33

Once again, you've definitely earned this!!! Once again I'm overwhelmed by the response from you guys.  I love you all, and I'll throw the same incentive out there for you guys with an early update.  175 votes and 75 comments and you'll have an update within 24 hours.  Enjoy my darlings!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 33 

I don’t know how long I played for, but the only reason I stopped was because Jax was pounding on my door barking at me that I needed to be ready in five minutes for dinner.  I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath before opening the door.  “I’m ready now.”  I got the usual treatment, the whole drag you wherever you need to be going crap.  

I was released just outside of the dining room.  I was surprised to see Xavier sitting across from Chuck, glaring daggers into Chuck.

“Ah, and there’s your little nightingale now.”

I glanced between the two of them.  “And I feel like I missed something.”

Chuck gave me that casual grin that made me think of the Cheshire Cat.  “Come, join us.  Enjoy the party.”  Chuck was talking to me, but his eyes were on Xavier.  He was trying to get a rise out of him.  I went to sit by Xavier but Chuck cleared his throat.  “I think not, little doe, you will sit to my right.”

I looked at Xavier who gave me a curt nod.  I sat where I knew Chuck wanted me.  “What’s going on?  I thought you didn’t dine with people you don’t like?”

“We’re not eating.  We are negotiating and I thought, as you are what we are bartering over, you should be present.  Wouldn’t you agree, Xavier?  Shouldn’t she be in the know?” 

“Stop talking about her like that!”

“Why?  She’s merchandise.”

“She’s not, damn it!  She is far more than that and you know it.  She is not a piece of property.  Address her with the respect she deserves.”

“Or what?”

“Chuck, it’s been a while, but one never forgets the skill set we utilized when we worked together.”

“Has your precious princess come to meet the darkness that is the monster inside of you?”

“Don’t act like I’m like you.”

“Oh, Xavier, we are nothing alike.  I’m not suggesting that in the slightest.  I am perfectly aware of who and what I am and do not try to pretend that I am anything else.  I embrace it wholeheartedly.”  Chuck stretched and lounged in his chair with effortless grace.  “Perhaps before negotiations start we should have story time.  What do you say?  Juliet, wouldn’t you love to delve into Xavier’s mysterious past?”

I glanced between the two of them and my heart broke at the helpless look on Xavier’s face.  “Not like this.” I admitted before I could realize what was coming out of my mouth.  

“Oh?  Wasn’t it you who was asking about Xavier earlier?”

“I was.” I admitted.  I looked at Xavier’s face expecting to see betrayal, but his face was a careful blank mask.  “I want to hear it from him.”  I stared into those beautiful brown eyes that held the keys to Xavier.  I could tell his mask was up by the icy edge that blazed in them.  “But I don’t think Xavier’s past is a game and you shouldn’t treat it like one.  People aren’t pawns.”