Chapter 38

Hello my darlings!  This one is short, but it's written and it felt like a natural break so I thought I'd post!  <3 I haven't edited yet, but enjoy my lovelies!  Love you guys, and I hope you know how much!!! Muah!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Chapter 38

I sat by Xavier for a while.  I refused to let go of his hand.  I needed to watch the rise and fall of his chest.  I needed to feel the warmth coming from his skin.  I knew it meant he was still alive.  He looked feverish and there was a thin sheen of perspiration across his forehead.  Every now and then I’d brush his hair away from his forehead or run my hand along his arm.  He had to be okay.  I was afraid to let go of his hand, afraid that if I did he would slip away.  

I nearly jumped out of my skin when someone cleared their throat behind me.  

I looked and saw Chuck.  He looked worse for wear.  His clothes were blood stained and I had a funny feeling most of it wasn’t his.    “How are your injuries?”

I shook my head confused.  “What?”

“Your injuries, your shoulder, your hand, your head.  How are they?”

I reached to the back of my head and winced.  I’d forgotten about everything but Xavier.  “I’m fine.  I don’t give a damn about any of that.” I turned and sat back down to keep my constant vigil.

“He wouldn’t appreciate you not taking care of yourself, a head injury especially.”

“I wouldn’t have a head injury if you didn't have someone beat me over the head.” I growled out.  I knew what he was doing, and I really hated that he was right.  Xavier would be mad if I didn’t make sure I didn’t have a concussion.  So long as I wasn’t bleeding out my ears and eyes and I didn’t fall asleep I’d be fine.  

“What did the doctor say?”

“Chuck, I don’t feel like talking.” 

“I’m pretty sure you have a concussion.  You need to keep talking, or at least someone here with you.”

“You’re pretty banged up yourself.  Go get yourself cleaned up.” 

“We need to move the two of you out of here.”

“Why?”

“I told you this place would be nothing more than charred rubble.  We’ve removed the valuables and we’re going to burn it to the ground.  Unless you’d like to burn with it, we need to move you and Xavier.  Or we could leave him, I’d be alright with that too.”

“You’re aren’t funny.” I growled.  

“I’m not entirely joking.” Chuck admitted as he took a seat beside me.

“Why did you do this?”

“Do what exactly?”

“Why did you plan this?  You’re way to smart for this to be a coincidence.”

“This was Xavier’s idea.  He wanted Jeremiah eliminated.”

“You put this together.  I’m not stupid, I know you planned for him to get hurt.”

“True.”

“What did you do?”

“Killing Jeremiah worked to both of our benefits.  He thought killing Jeremiah would keep you safe and with Xavier as a convenient scapegoat, I could overthrow Jeremiah and if it failed play the part that was needed for me.”