Sirius Black: Happy Birthday

Y/n was sitting in the common room with the Marauders, at least with those who didn't get detention for not paying attention in class. So technically you were with Peter and Remus.

"What are you getting for Sirius birthday?" You asked the others. They looked at each other, with wide eyes.

"Uh Umm..." Peter stuttered.

"Sirius never celebrate his birthday," Remus explained. "It reminds him of the bad birthday days with his family."

"But you still give him gifts. Right?" You asked.

"Last time he got a gift he refused to take it," Remus said. "We sneak things into his part of the room, but we never give him something directly."

"But that's horrible!" You burst out. "He should celebrate it. Be happy about it and enjoy every minute of it."

"We've tried," Peter said. "It didn't work."

"I haven't tried," You said and stood up. "I'll give him the best birthday ever."

*****

People in Hogwarts received secret invitations to Sirius Black's birthday party. You picked the person wisely. From different houses, people that Sirius might like or people that his friends recommended. You got a long list of names but there was one person you had to ask first, which was the only person of your own choice.

"Regulus!" You shouted when you saw him with his group of friends. He turned around and got suspicious when he saw that it was you. After excusing himself from his friends, he approached you.

"Y/l/n?" He said, sceptic. "A surprise indeed. What is it?"

He didn't exactly ask it in a rude tone, but he was welcoming a conversation either.

"I wanted to give you this," You said and handed him an envelope. "It's for Sirius birthday."

Regulus polite smile fainted when he heard his brother's name.

"I don't think he wants me anywhere near there," Regulus muttered. "Not if you want him to have a good day."

He gave you back the letter and was about to walk away when you stopped him.

"I think he would," You said. "None of you would admit it because of your pride but you miss each other. You care for each other."

Regulus stared at you for a long while before he shook his head but he didn't dare to say a word.

"Think of it," You said. "It's just for one night."

Then you left him with the invitation in his hand. You had done what you could. The rest was up to him.

*****

"So what are we doing this year Padfoot?" James asked. "Is it the forbidden forest? Or pranking Filch?"

"Why not both?" Sirius asked. "Keeping the traditions alive."

"Then we go and get some butterbeer from Hogsmeade?" James asked.

"Or we head to my dorm and drink fire whiskey," Sirius said. "Hogsmeade can wait one day. Fire whiskey is getting empty this Friday."

"As you wish," James shrugged.

"Are we allowed to give gifts this year?" Remus asked.

"I've already told you. I don't want anything," Sirius said. "I just want the day to be over so that I can get rid of all the empty congratulations."