Prologue

Prologue

How I wish to see her looking so beautiful, walking down the aisle while I'm waiting for her at the altar.

For almost six years, she's the only girl that I've ever loved—that I'm willing to do anything for her. I can take all the pain even if she loves someone else just to have her. I can treat her child like mine and give my name wholeheartedly. I'm willing to sacrifice my whole life even just for a drop of her love.

That's how much I love her. For me, there's no greater love that can be compared with my love for her.

But that's just it. I saw her walking down the aisle as I kept my tears inside my eyes as I looked at her. She didn't need to wear a grand wedding dress or any make-up. She's just wearing her casual clothes and almost bare faced, but she's still looking so beautiful as ever.

"Brendt..." Sandra's father called for my attention when we were alone.

He said that he wanted to talk to me when I just got here in San Francisco to apologize. I became a jerk for being rude to Sandra when I don't even know the reason why she suddenly came here with Sean and Lyrae.

I stared at his eyes with full of concern. Hindi man masiyadong halata ngunit kita kong nanghihina na siya at pinipilit na lamang ang sarili na magmukhang malakas.

"I'm sorry if I wasn't able to come earlier po..." paghingi ko nang pumanhin. "Noong nalaman ko po kay Sandra ang tungkol sa inyo, dali-dali na po akong nagbook ng flight patungo dito. I really am praying for you full recovery, Tito."

Tipid naman itong ngumiti sa akin. "Thank you for your prayers, but I don't wish to recover. In fact, I already want to die soon."

Napakunoot naman ang aking noo nang dahil sa kaniyang sinabi. "Tito, huwag naman po kayong magbiro ng ganiyan." sabi ko. "Sandra wouldn't like it if she heard you talking like that."

Tumango naman siya at bahagyang natawa. "Ayaw niya nga..." sabi niya. "Pero napaintindi ko na sa kaniya kung bakit iyon ang gusto kong mangyari; kung bakit hindi ko na ginusto pa ang lumaban. I know my daughter will understand me."

"Pero bakit, Tito? I mean, I'm sure you can still be saved. Ang dami nang naiimbentong—"

"Brendt, there are things in my life that one needs to give-up." pagputol niya sa akin. "As for me, I chose to give up my life for I know that there will be a better one waiting for me afterlife—that is to be with my wife who died years ago."

My admiration for Sandra's father has strengthened, knowing how much love he has for his wife. Kahit gaano nang katagal namatay ang kaniyang asawa ay hindi ito napalitan sa kaniyang puso. And now, he wants to put an end to his life just to be with his wife.

"You're a great guy, Brendt. I can see that." he suddenly said. "I'm thankful that Sandra has you when she was lost. But now, I can see that my daughter's finally finding the right path. The only thing that blocks her from taking the path is you."

My lips parted as his words tried to sink in.

"I have nothing against you. In fact, I'm happy that you're there for my daughter and my granddaughter, as well." he said. "But if you ever feel like my daughter isn't happy with you anymore, please set her free. Ikaw na ang mismong magdala sa kaniya sa tamang daan na hinaharangan mo. Iyon lang ang tanging hinihiling ko sa'yo, Brendt. Help me make my daughter be happy when I'm already gone."