Chapter 16

***Claire***

I pace around in my room, waiting for Loki to come back with news from Fury. We are going to see if I can come visit sometime, to talk things out with Clint. My thoughts spin crazily, unsure of how to approach this situation. My anger has faded, and is replaced with an aching sadness and longing for my brother. I feel like crying, laughing, and shouting all at the same time. I hear footsteps approach the door, and I turn my head. Loki walks in, and my distress must show on my face because he folds me in a hug.

"We can visit them at this evening. Hawkeye is currently on a mission, Fury is going to have him flown back as soon as he is done." I take a deep breath, the smell of pine and cinnamon comforting. I take another deep breath and bury my face into his shirt.

"What are you doing?" He says, and I feel his chest vibrate as he chuckles.

"You smell good." I say, but it sounds more like mhhh smll gdd because my face is buried into his chest.

"Say that again." He says, tilting my head back until I am looking at him. I blush, and he grins.

"You smell good." I say quickly, looking down at our feet. I feel him put his head on the top of mine.

"You smell good too." He says, and I feel him sniff my hair. I raise an eyebrow.

"What do I smell like?" I ask, and he spins me around. We walk to the mirror and I stare at our reflections, smiling slightly. Loki stands behind me with his head on mine, and his hands are laying on my hips intertwined with mine.

"You smell like vanilla and sugar, like those really good cinnamon rolls Andre makes." I laugh, and he kisses my cheek.

"It reminds me of when I was a child, of all my good memories with my mother." He says, putting his face next to mine so that our cheeks touch.

"Well, I am glad that I smell good. Even though right now I feel disgusting." I say, grimacing at my reflection in the mirror. My hair is unwashed and oily, and my skin is blotchy from my emotional state. I am wearing a old pair of Loki's sweats and an oversized T-shirt with 'Proceed with caution' written on the front in big bold letters on the front Natasha sent me by way of Thor.

"I think you look beautiful." Loki says, smiling at me in the mirror. I raise my eyebrows in disbelief and he laughs.

"The shirt could look better though." He says, pulling the material in and tying in a knot on my side. I shake my head at him, and I turn around.

"What are we going to tell them about us? Not to exaggerate, but if Clint finds out we are together, you may have to fight for your life." I say, standing on my tiptoes and putting my arms around his neck. His face pales, and I laugh.

"I forgot about that part." He says, and screws his face in concentration.

"What if we just says we are friends?" He says, and I nod.

"That sounds good." I say, stretching and kissing his cheek.

"I would prefer we both come back unharmed." I say, and he laughs.

***Clint***

I hold onto the handle as the helicopter lands with a thump, and I jump out. I walk to the main deck and stand behind Fury.

"You wanted to see me Sir?" I ask, keeping my gaze forward.

"Yes I did. He says and turns.

"Loki contacted me this morning." He says, and my attention snaps to him.

"And..." I say, holding my breath.