*Chapter Five*

The rest of the day passed by as smoothly as it could. Miri was in a constant state of being in and out of her thoughts and she struggled to pay attention.

As she walked out of the school, she saw Todoroki standing at the entrance, leaning against the wall. Confused, she continued walking, determined to get to the vehicle waiting for her without issue.

She almost made it past him when he spoke up.

"Something about you is familiar to me." His voice cut through her like a knife.

Miri turned her head to look at him, confused. "We've...never met before?"

"No, I don't think we have. But it's something about your face." He stared at her.

Miri felt self-conscious. She played with the black strands of her hair. "I doubt it..."

He stared at her for a moment longer before leaning back and closing his eyes. "I apologize for how I acted earlier. It was unnecessary. My familiarity with you confused me and didn't think about how you'd feel."

Miri's eyes widened, and she turned her head to the car waiting for her. She could see her mother's outline in the backseat, watching their interaction.

She swallowed and turned back to him. "I accept your...apology, but let's not...do this again." She pushed out.

She didn't want to seem rude, but it was better for Todoroki if he didn't get too close to her. The whole reason she was here was so she could get information on him so her mother could take down his father. If she didn't get close to him, then she couldn't report anything to her mother.

The solution to her problem would mean that she needed to turn her mom in, but she couldn't. Despite how her mother treated her, Miri cared about her. Not to mention, it could mean her chance here at U.A. going down the drain for being the daughter of a notorious villain.

"What do you mean?" The boy opened his eyes.

She sighed. "I mean...it's best for everyone involved if we don't become friends or socialize..." She gripped her backpack. "It's not you...it's me. I'm not someone...you want to be near."

His eyebrows screwed together, and he had a scowl on his face. "I'm not here to be friends with anyone. I just wanted to apologize."

His intimidation came back and Miri felt herself choking up. "I'm...glad we're on the same page then."

She spun around on her heel and began walking to the car. What she said was best for both of them, but it hurt all the same.

As she got in the car and shut the door, she looked out the window and saw Todoroki standing there, watching her car with an unreadable look on his face.

Turning back to look at the passenger seat in front of her, she saw Uraraka talking to an older male. A wide smile plastered on her cheeks and the man had an equally wide one on him. Miri assumed that was her father.

They looked...like they really loved each other.

They drove away, Miri wishing that her life looked like that.

𓆩*𓆪

As she was in her room that night, she was decked out in workout gear. The gray training bra and baggy shorts clung to her muscular frame. Sweat trailed down her body as she did push up after push up.

She sat back for a moment, breathing heavily. She wiped the sweat from her lips as she took a sip of water from the bottle to her left.

She stood up and began slamming her large fists into the beat-up punching bag that hung in the middle of her room. A breath to match each swing against the defenseless bag.