*Chapter Fifty-Six*

A surprise shock seemed to reverberate through the group of friends.

'Is it bad I never really questioned the lack of Miri mentioning her father? I never, ever gave him any thought.' Uraraka stared at the man on the stand.

'If he's the guy Miri got her quirk from, then he must be powerful. I just wish I asked her about him sooner. She seems to be very uncomfortable, almost frightened of him being here.' Midoriya's fingers danced over his mouth, deep in thought.

Todoroki squeezed Miri's hand, noticing her breathing became erratic and short. "You will pass out." He stared at her, trying to figure out what to do to help her. "Take a deep breath through your nose."

Miri shook her head frantically. 'I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I think I'm dying. My chest is so tight...'

Todoroki took a deep breath. He wrapped his arms around Miri, pulling her against him. He tucked her head under his chin, whispering calming words.

"I don't get why he's here..." Miri's voice was barely audible. "Why does he have to be here? Why couldn't he just leave us alone? He will ruin everything."

He could hear the pain in her voice. Feel the fear in her body as she trembled against him. It reminded him all too much of a younger him running from his father. He knew exactly what she was feeling, and his heart was breaking for her.

"I'm so sorry, Miri." He whispered into her hair. He turned his head to glare daggers at the man who was causing the anguish to appear in her body. He wanted nothing more than to tear into her father, but he knew what his job was at that moment. Such things could wait for a later date.

Something told him that now that her father was here, he had no intention of leaving soon.

They brought Nightmare back to consciousness, but she refused to look up. Her gaze was focused on the table she sat at, a strange look on her face. She appeared to be spaced out, worlds away.

"Are we good now?" The judge looked around. "Can we continue? I swear, this should all be a TV show."

"Mr. Shotomoto-"

"DON'T CALL HIM THAT!" Nightmare roared, her hands slamming down on the desk in front of her. A raw and pained anger was clear in her voice. Several officers shifted, ready to restrain her. "I want no association with him. He stole my last name. He doesn't deserve the honor it brings."

"There's nothing honorable about your last name, villain!" The prosecutor snapped.

Miri, who was being talked down, flinched.

"For Christ's sake." Judge Mathers just placed his head in his arms.

"Mr. Shotomoto," The prosecutor started again, a pointed glare to Nightmare. "How long were you married to Ms. Shotomoto?"

"Five years." His voice was low, authoritative. Shivers were sent around the room. He did not look the way he sounded.

"What were those five years like?" The prosecutor's hands were folded behind his back.

"The worst I've ever experienced." His hands were folded in front of him, very similar to how his father sat in that seat only minutes prior. "Itaro was abusive. She yelled at me frequently and always came home with these large amounts of money. She never told me where she got them and when I asked her, she got violent. She told Mirianne all these horrible things about me, made her believe it was all real. She turned my daughter against me." The sadness and hurt was there in his voice. He sounded like a man who was genuinely broken.

Miri froze in Todoroki's arms. She dragged herself away from the boy who stared down at her, confused. He watched as she turned her head to look in the corner of the room. He couldn't see her face, but he watched her tremble again.