*Chapter Twenty-Six*

Miri stood in line with a few other soldiers. Instead of her usual slouched and casual stance, she was forced into a straight posture. Her wrists were locked behind her back. A new shirt with the name "Miri" printed on the chest adorned her.

"You six are special cases." Her grandfather stood before them, marching up and down the line. "You have quirks that would qualify you in being front line defenders. That being said, anyone who has to defend the line has to be the best versions of themselves." He stopped in front of Miri. "Each of you will be required to wear sixty pound weights. Your only break from them will be when you're sleeping or given specific instructions to take them off. If I catch you without your weights on, it's another twenty pounds added on. Each time you are caught without them, it is an additional twenty pounds." He resumed walking. "I don't care what your excuse is or if your wrists are dragging across the ground from how heavy your weights are. Do. Not. Take. Them. Off."

The weights were fastened to Miri's wrists and ankles. She was used to training with weights, however, wearing them at all times?

"Each morning you are required to run one lap around the entire base with your weights on. If you are not wearing your weights, you have an additional twenty pounds and have to run three more laps. The choice is yours. Dismissed." Her grandfather waved them off.

The other soldiers dispersed, however Miri remained.

"Uh..." Did she call him grandpa? Anton? Sir? "Have you ever been a Pro Hero?"

Her grandfather raised an eyebrow. "That's a strange question. Why do you ask?"

"Well...it's just..." She sighed. "Everyone else back home is with Pro Heroes and out doing...you know...hero things. Here I'm basically at boot camp. Learning the ropes of the military is nice and all, but I want to be a Pro, not a soldier."

Her grandpa stroked his chin. "Many years ago, don't ask how many, I was a Pro Hero. I wasn't anyone like All Might, but I stopped plenty of villains in my day. However, some problems grew beyond just being a hero for civilians." He began walking, and Miri followed him.

"You're familiar with the Quirk Wars, right?" He looked over his shoulder at her.

"Yeah, there was a problem with some people using their quirks for things they shouldn't have and it caused a lot of rifts between some countries. I don't know the details, but I have a general idea." She shrugged.

"I was twenty-four when the war broke out. I was a young hero, easily in my prime. America needed soldiers, and they started asking for Pro Heroes. I enlisted, knowing that if there was someone or something out there that needed my help more, then I need to go. It was over as soon as it started and they crowned me a hero." He stopped and turned to her. "And not the hero you see nowadays wearing a cape, but the hero that doesn't need statues in the park or trading cards to know they matter. I became a hero for the country. For the world." He noticed Miri looking at him strangely. "What?"

"I'm not understanding why you're telling me this." She stared up at him.

"I'm saying that being a soldier doesn't mean just being a soldier. Superheroes can keep peace between people. They stop bank robberies when they become beyond what the police can handle. They stop villains from wreaking havoc across the cities. But soldiers? Armies? They fight for peace between countries." He held a hand out to her. "Better?"

"Nope." She shrugged.

"sOlDieRs cAn bE heRoEs tOo." He sighed.

"Ohhh." Miri scrunched her eyebrows. "Why didn't you just say that?"

He took a deep breath. "Point is, you don't have to learn what everyone else is to be great."

"If your hero license isn't active anymore, how were you able to put in for me to do my internship here? Aren't you supposed to-"

"That's not relevant." He waved her off.

"Yes, it is-"

"Do I hear something? I think I'm going deaf." He wiggled his pinkie in his ear.

"Your quirk is literally the ability to amplify your senses!" Miri exclaimed.

"Really? Huh, weird." He continued down the hallway.

Miri flared her nose. "Japan me now, please."

"Heard that!" He called back.

"I WILL POISON YOUR PRUNE JUICE!" Miri called after him.

"As if I even drink it!" He laughed down the hallway.

Groaning, Miri followed him.