*Chapter Twenty-Eight*

By the next morning, Miri's entire body was sore. Her arms hung at her sides and moving proved to be a pain. By pure determination and promise of a hearty breakfast, she made it halfway around the lap area.

The rest of the troops she was with tried to stick with her as motivation, however the sun beat down on their backs, quickly making their run miserable.

Sweat poured down her body, and she wanted to do nothing else but go back to bed. Her muscles were screaming with every step, but she knew if she stopped now, everything she said to her grandfather would have been pointless lies.

Miri was at the last few yards of her lap, seeing the end in sight boosted her to continue going. However, on the horizon in the far distance, her eyes spotted something shiny within the seemingly endless miles of sand.

Her pace slowed. Her troop mates glanced back at her.

"Miri?" One asked her, stopping completely. Miri learned his name was Randy. He had his shirt tied around his head, his tan body glistening with sweat. "What is it?"

"In the distance..." She panted. "There's something on the horizon...shiny." Miri squinted. "Vehicle?"

The troops glanced at each other, then booked it to her grandfather. Miri noticed the panic in their steps and tried her best to hurry after them.

"Sir," Their panicked voices rang through the air. "They're here again!"

Her grandfather looked at them, confused. "Uhh...who?"

"The Rebels!" They shouted. "The Rebels are here!"

Miri flared her nose. 'The Rebels? What a terrible name. Cliche.'

She finally caught up, coming to a panting stop. "Who are...the Rebels?"

"A group of criminals that wander around these parts. They've been attacking nearby cities and towns and taking the women and children." Her grandfather explained.

Miri narrowed her eyes. "But...we should be fine, right? I mean...we're at a military outpost. They won't mess with us. And even if they did, it's not like they'd get far."

"It's just us here today, Miri." A troop, Brandon, stepped up beside her. He turned to her grandfather. "What's the call, sir?"

Her grandfather rubbed his face. "Remove your weights. Hide Miri and-"

"What!? No!" She growled. "I'm not hiding! I will fight with you!"

"Mirianne," Her grandfather took an authoritative tone. "It's too dangerous. This group has been taking women and children for whatever reason." He crossed his large arms. "And you are both a woman and a child. They will take you."

"But you need me! Don't you believe in me?" She frowned.

Her grandfather sighed. "Of course I believe in you, but I want nothing to happen to you. These guys are dangerous. Please, just listen to me on this and stay hidden until we handle them."

She sighed and looked to the horizon again. There looked to be at least twenty people in the group with multiple carts and cages being pulled behind theme. "There's too many of them-"

"Miri, we'll be fine. Don't you believe in me?" Her grandfather smiled down at her.

She took a deep breath. "The moment anything goes south, I will be out here. For now, I'll be in the training room."

"Thank you. Please, just remain out of sight." Her grandfather suddenly looked many years older to her. She frowned.

"Just remain safe." She turned to the troops. "All of you." She slowly removed her weights and ran off to the training room.

Her body felt relieved of all the weight she was carrying, however the soreness was still there.

She opened the door to the room and stepped inside it. The few windows in the room let in a little light, but it was enough darkness to allow Miri's body to relax. She sagged against the wall and sat there peacefully.

She remained in the room's silence for several minutes. She strained to hear anything from the outside, but figured out quickly the walls were too thick.

A sharp ringing noise filled the room and Miri was on her feet instantly, ready to do anything should the moment call for it.

However, she quickly realized it was actually her phone ringing.

She fumbled for the device quickly. She pulled it out and read the caller ID. A confused smile spread across her face to see it was Midoriya.

Answering a phone call at a time like this seemed ridiculous, but what if he needed her for something? What if it was important?

She looked to the door and back at the phone. She sat back against the wall and hit answer.

"Hello?" Miri muttered quietly into the device.

"Miri?" Midoriya's soft voice echoed through the phone. "Why are you so quiet?"

"Uhhh," She looked around. "I'm kind of..." 'in the middle of something? No, that was rude.' "I'm playing a very intense game of hide and seek."

"Oh, is this a bad time, or-"

"No!" She squeaked out, and slammed a hand over her mouth, looking around. "I mean, no." She said much quieter. "You're fine. What's up?"

"I was just wondering how your internship was going." She could hear the smile in his voice on the other end. "Going to America sounded so exciting."

'It wasn't important...' A pained look crossed her face. If she hung up now, it'd be rude. "Yeah, it's definitely interesting." Her mind flooded over to the things that may be going on outside at that moment, but also the things she's learned and did while there. Most of all, she thought of her grandfather and how in such a short time, she's grown to care about him.

On the other end of the line, Midoriya was smiling. He noticed the change in Miri's behavior after the fight. She became more withdrawn and jumpy. But now? He could see her changing. She was becoming better.

"I'm happy for you." He said, a peaceful smile crossing his face.

Her fingers anxiously twirled her black bangs. If she didn't ask him about his mentorship, it would be rude. "How are things for you on your end?" She smiled once more.

"My mentor is strange, but I respect him. I've actually...I've learned so much from him. I've found a better way at controlling my quirk. Now...I really think I'm on my way to becoming a hero!" He stood up from the chair he was sitting in and looked out the window of Gran Torino's building.

Miri felt her heart swell with pride. She knew how much all of this really meant for Midoriya.

"I'm happy for you too-" Midoriya listened to her fall silent as a loud bang was heard.

"Miri? Is everything okay?" Midoriya asked her, gripping the windowsill in worry.

"Midoriya!" Cracking noises filled the background. "I've got to go...I'll call you later." Midoriya heard breaking glass and wood before the line went dead.

"Miri!" He called out helplessly into the silent phone.