Chapter IV -M- Darkness

Until I see a huge shadow covering the sunlight right above my head.

I look up with fear, but all I see is a structure of some kind. I realize I'm too close to the surface and that must be a human device, which means humans are near, I must go.

I turn and swim away before I sense a perturbance on the sea, I should just keep swimming, but I can't force myself to not look.

A human, that's what's on the water, another reason to leave but I can't, something about him intrigues me. He doesn't look threatening, he looks hurt. I don't think he came for a swim, after all he is completely dressed in what I can assume to be an expensive suit, I saw the King wear something similar to the top of the attire that this man is using.

I watch for a few moments and wonder why isn't he swimming to the surface. He keeps sinking further and further down as I observe, I want to help, but contact with humans is forbidden. The ones on the boat might see me and attack, Humans are terrified of the unknown.

I keep debating with myself if I should help him or not when I hear an awful noise and the sea becomes aggressive, I look up to see the structure move, slowly at first but with an increasing speed until I can no longer see it.

The human will die if I don't act now, he's drowning and with the thing on the surface gone, I'm running out of excuses. Law weights more than a person's life? No.

Just like that I decide what to do, and this choice may very well change my whole life.

I swim at maximum speed towards him and, as I grab him, I can see his eyes slowly closing, I sure hope he doesn't remember anything in case he survives.

With him in my arms I realize that in order to save him, I'll have to do something that could get me killed, something I wanted to do my entire life, get out of the water.

I break the surface for the first time ever and am immediately drown in sunlight, but I'll have to wait to analyze and enjoy the feeling, because this guy is in bad shape. I look around in search of Land, but I only see water for miles. I've never been out of the palace, let alone on surface, I have no idea where Land is.

My guess is the floating thing should be heading there, so I'll go that way. With my mermaid swimming speed I must be able to get there before this human is gone for good.

I give my best and, in a few moments, I see what I never thought I would see in my lifetime, Land, the place where the human's live.

We get there and I lay him down on the sand, not able to get him further up because of my tail.

I notice he's not breathing, "Damn it, don't you dare die, not after I risked everything to save you!"

I punch his chest a couple of times and he coughs up water and restarts breathing, giving no signs of waking.

I feel warmth all over my body and I realize it's the feeling of the sun on my skin, it's amazing. I look at the ocean, it looks like it goes on forever, until it merges with the sky.

It's still the middle of the day so the sun is high up on the sky and I feel my tail tingling.

Wait. Something isn't right, there is something wrong with my tail.

Looking down I inspection my tail and notice it starting to chimer.

I can't believe what I'm seeing, my tail...it's vanishing ang giving place to...legs? I believe human's call it, legs. I have human legs! This can't be happening!

It's not possible! I can't have legs! Oh gosh I'm panicking.

Breathe, Meleah...breathe.

I have to think. How can I have legs. Mermaid can't change their tail to legs.