Chapter XVIII -M- Plausible Deniability

They all tease him relentlessly and I watch, after a while I'm pretty sure I have the dynamics of this macho group figure out.

So, Matt is Dylan's best bro, he's the one that teases him the most and acts like a child around him but has a completely different personality towards the ladies. I got to see that when a group of girls tried to insert themselves into this group without luck. Nonetheless, Matt and Leo didn't waste perfectly good contact numbers.

Leo is the youngest of the group, like I thought, and his role is pretty much that, he's a player like Matt, maybe even more so, and if I had to bet I would say he envies his older brother as much as he respects him.

Jared seems put together, his main entertainment is messing with his baby brother, his maturity level seems pretty similar to Dylan's, and I bet that like Dylan he can act like a kid, occasionally. I also got the idea that Jared is the only one in the group that is married, maybe that's why he's calmer than the others.

However, when it comes to Vincent, I can't really get a read. He's gigantic and his face is pretty much impenetrable even when he's talking to his friends. His posture gets more relaxed, but his expression is always the same. I think he's the more mature of them all but that type of maturity isn't born, is made. I don't know if humans have wars like Merpeople, but assuming they do, either he has been on one or has some great trauma in his history. Nonetheless, he gives this vibe that he has got your back.

I feel safe among them, which is weird, I never knew many men at all, and sometimes tend to assume that they are like King Orion, but Dylan isn't, and appears that the King is the exception and not Dylan.

Occasionally, Dylan looks my way to check up on me and smiles. Most of the time I pretend not to notice and look away.

"Hey, everything alright?" He asks getting my attention.

"Yeah, I just need something to drink. I will be right back."

"I'll go with you." He's clearly in the middle of catching up with his friends.

"I'll be fine." I look at him trying to say 'I am not a child' with my eyes and I guess he understood because he just nods towards the table with the drinks.

I get to the table and grab the first glass with water in it, I can't be long without water or some liquid when I'm in human form or I start to feel dry.

"Hello!" A feminine voice surprises me and I almost let my drink fall. "Oh, I'm so sorry to startle you!"

I look at the newcomer and see a gorgeous woman, around my age. Her black hair contrasts with her green eyes and her figure is to die for, she seems really nice too, not a usual combination.

"It's alright. I'm Meleah."

"Hi, I'm Sylvia. It's so nice to meet you, I'm really sorry about that."

"Truly it's ok."

"I saw that you came here with Dylan..." I look at her but the only feeling I get is of a bubbly young girl, she doesn't seem manipulative nor shady, it's appears that she's only making conversation.

"Yeah, do you know him?"

"I wish I didn't." She sighs and I laugh.

"Oh no, you already met. What did you say, Sylvia?" Dylan's voice makes us both look at him.

"Nothing that I didn't mean." She smiles and hugs him. "I missed you! Why didn't you call?"

"Sorry, I got distracted." He looks at me from the corner of his eye and she noticed.

"I see...and what a beautiful distraction."

"Sylvia, this is Meleah."

"We are able to introduce ourselves very well thank you. In fact, we already did." I say to him. Sylvia laughs but doesn't say anything.