Chapter XVI -M- Life is a Beautiful Thing

This day is not going like I expected at all.

All went downhill when Dylan start to ask too many questions and then I lost it too and actually told him everything. I mean...almost. I didn't tell him the 'Elizabeth and doppelganger' thing but I will, eventually. Now that I know I can trust him, I want him to know who I am, even if I don't really know who that is either.

I was not prepared for his reaction to my tail. I didn't know how someone would react to that revelation, but I would never have guessed 'Cool'. I feel like laughing just thinking about it, he's such a moron.

What I also didn't expect was him asking me to turn back to human, grabbing my hand and start to walk, leaving the beach behind.

"Dylan, where are we going?"

"To my friend's house." Is he crazy? He told me before that he was staying in the house of an old man that practically raised him. He has a lot of respect for that man but why are we going there?

"Why?"

"Anthony asked me to invite you to a ball today because he wants to meet you."

"And this is your way of asking me?" We are already outside of a beautiful and gigantic mansion. This friend of his is obviously very rich and rich people tend to be assholes so, I'm a little reticent in this introduction.

"You don't want to meet him?" He didn't give me much of a choice, he literally dragged me here.

However, I can see that this is important to him. Anthony is a fundamental piece in Dylan's life, and he wants me to meet him. Refusing would upset him...

"What if he doesn't like me?"

"Why wouldn't he?"

"He obviously as money." He looks at me strangely when I say this like he doesn't follow my line of reasoning. I don't blame him, I'm generalizing based on my life experience that isn't that vast.

"So?"

"I don't." Truth be told I had nothing to my name except the bracelet that I'm now wearing again. I look at it and an immense feeling of calmness washes over me, tranquilizing me.

"Anthony is not like that. Besides, he was the one that bet on mermaid."

"What?" I start to panic slightly. "You can't tell him what I am."

"I know, although he is trustworthy, I wouldn't betray your trust like that." His look settles my worries a bit.

"Ok...let's meet him then." The quicker we go, the fastest this will be over, I hate meeting new people.

Dylan guides me inside to a big living room, with incredible natural lighting coming from a wall size window with a view of the ocean. This place is amazing.

An older man, around seventy, was looking out the window with a faraway look in his eyes.

Dylan coughs to get the man's attention.

"Dylan! Come on, introduce me to this pretty young lady."

Dylan places his hand on my lower back, which makes me shiver, and leads me closer to the man.

"Anthony this is..." He looks at me suddenly as if he doesn't know my name and I realize that he doesn't know if he should call me Elizabeth or Meleah.

"I'm Meleah, nice to meet you." I extend my hand expecting the man to take it, but he just stands there looking at me with a shocked expression.

"Anthony? Is everything ok?" Dylan's voice breaks the eye contact between me and Anthony.