Chapter XXIII -M- Fried Fish

Water.

When I wake up I'm underwater. I haven't opened my eyes yet, but I can feel it surrounding me.

I can also feel a hard, cold surface underneath my body and try to move my arms to find them free, at least I'm not chained.

I start to hear this pounding sound and slowly open my eyes, to see that is worse than I thought.

What the hell did I get myself into? Why am I laying in a fish tank, on top of a table, in an empty room?

First things I notice, I have my tail and the top of the fish tank is open. If I sit up, my head would be out of water and then the glass would end a few inches above it, maybe I can escape.

My brain starts to work on a way to run when I hear the sound again.

I turn to my side to see an aquarium similar to my own. I would have thought that I was looking at a mirror, however, the mermaid in that place is blond.

She sees that I notice her and waves signaling up. She wants me to sit up so we can talk over the glass.

"Lizzie?!"

"Meleah! I'm so glad you're here!" I'm shocked beyond words. I found the Princess! Or maybe she found me?

"How did I get here?"

"Probably the same way I did. I was trying to escape my marriage with Stuart and the last thing I remember is watching the palace from afar. Then is darkness. I woke up here."

"You shouldn't have run!"

"I know! I just didn't want to obey my parents anymore."

"I had to be you for a long time."

"I'm sorry they put you thru that, but I wanted a moment of freedom. I would have come back."

"Would you?" I say with suspicion.

"Of course!" She sounds sincere so I let it go.

"How long have you been here?"

"I am not sure. He comes occasionally to ask questions."

"He?"

"The man that got us."

"What did he want to know?"

"He mainly asks about the Kingdom, my parents, how things work, how can a mermaid have legs, things like that. He's very disappointed that I don't know what he's talking about."

"How mermaid have legs?"

"I know that only half-breed can do it. However, he wants specifics, like how the exchange works. I can't tell him that because I'm not a half-breed."

"Who is he? Why does he want to know those things?"

She shrugs, "I have no idea. He's pretty insistent, but I thought he was finally believing me. I have no idea how he learned about you. No one knows about you."

"You didn't tell him?"

"Of course not! I would never! Besides, you wouldn't know the answer either, so it would be useless."

"Actually-" I get interrupted by the sound of the door opening.

"Don't shut up on my account." I recognize that voice. "Why didn't you tell me about her? I'm disappointed." He's words are directed at Lizzie, but his eyes are on me.

"How did you even find out about her?" Lizzie sounded scared.

"We've met." I'm the one that answers. "You're Adrien. Dylan's brother."