Chapter XIII -M- Friends or Something

"You were almost late, Mel. What happened?" Thea starts with the question right away. I sit in front of my mirror and let her fret over my hair and accessories.

"Oh Thea! You have no idea!" I can't help the smile that comes to my face as I remember the day I spent on land.

"Tell me everything! We still have a few hours before the party. Spill!! Did you find your bracelet?"

My smile disappears in an instant. The bracelet how could I forget?

"No..."

"If you didn't find it why do you look so happy?...Wait, don't tell me! You met the human! Didn't you?! You so did! Tell me the details! What did he say? Did he recognize you?"

"...yeah. I did. He was just there on the beach and I couldn't escape because I didn't know how to use the legs and he got to me and wouldn't leave...and then he offered to show me the town."

"Oh My God! Who are you right now?! Going on a date with a human? I'm loving this new you, or maybe that's who you were all along."

"Stop! It wasn't a date! He just offered because he felt bad about being an idiot every time we meet."

"Suuure. But tell me! What did you do?"

"Well I was going to say no, because Lizzie wouldn't be in town, but I was just so curious about humans and I thought I wouldn't get another chance, so I agreed."

"Wait...this isn't your dress!" I blush a little and don't look at her in the eyes. "MELEAH! Why do you have another dress?? It's gorgeous and it's really you but it's not yours..."

"Hegotitforme." I say really quickly and low.

"What? Speak like a normal person, please."

"He. Got. It. For. Me."

"He, the human, got you a dress?" She sounds shocked.

"Yeah... apparently it's not normal to walk around with wet clothes."

"Humans really have a paranoia about being wet, don't they?"

"Yes! It's so weird!"

"So he got you a dress. What else?"

"I don't know if there was something going on but there were so many humans! Dancing and laughing and others selling things and food. It was so fun to watch! And then he brought me to a place to eat and the woman there was very nice, and the food was amazing! Like the best thing I ever tasted! I had to control myself not to look too excited!"

"Woah slow down. I'm usually the one that doesn't breathe in-between words." She laughs but looks at me curiously.

"Do you want to know or not?"

"Yes."

"So stop interrupting."

"Fine!"

"So, after we ate, we went dancing! Dancing with legs is so fun! And after a few hours we ate another amazing thing, but this time it was really cold and sweet, he called it ice cream."

"What a strange name..."

"I know right?"

"And then what?"

"Then I ran because I noticed I was getting late..."

"You ran? Without saying anything to him? Again?"

"Yeah, I was afraid he would want to take me home or something. I don't think he can swim." We both laugh at that awful joke.

"You know, I never see you talk about something with so much excitement."