Chapter 26

'I can't believe that you booked a whole restaurant for a silly date!' Laura disbelieveingly says after ordering their food.

Diego starts scratching his neck.

'Well, I wanted to give you a grand date. Although I'm not sure anymore if that was a good idea.'

He bites the inside of his cheek. Here he is being nervous in front of the only girl he likes. But he arranges himself again. He's not gonna mess this date up.

If only he could charm her like he does to every other girl.

But he knows Laura. So he also knows that it would take more than a date to charm her.

Laura chuckles at Diego's embarrassed face.

'I didn't mean that I don't like it. I do. Just that I've never come to this kind of restaurant wearing sneakers. If we were coming here then why did you insist on wearing casual dress?'

'Because this is not the only place where we're going.' Diego says in a mysterious tone.

Laura looks at him with playfully narrowed eyes.

'Where else are we going? I hope not somewhere where you can secretly kill me and then dump my body.'

'You know me so well.' Diego says mockingly. 'But seriously, don't think that I'm gonna let you off the hook so easily. Throughout the whole day I'm gonna impress you so much that you'll want to marry me tomorrow.'

Laura chukles not knowing that the other person is pretty serious.

'We'll see about that.'

The waiter comes with their food. As Laura and Diego dig in, the sound of orchestra playing fills their ears. Laura doesn't notice Diego looking intently at her to see her reaction. She looks around and then notices a group of musicians in a dark corner. She can't help herself but be impressed. She had told Diego that she really likes orchestra but that was one year ago. It's really surprising that he still remembers.

When they finish Laura wipes her mouth with a tissue and then looks at Diego.

'So, where to next?'

Diego playfully makes a thoughtful expression.

'Umm. That's for me to know and you to wait for.'

Laura shakes her head at him and then they make their way out. As Diego starts the car and they hit the road a comfortable silence fills the car. Diego starts the radio and a soft song starts playing.

After a few minutes Laura breaks the silence.

'Did you really have to pick me up like that? All the employees of the company were there. Now there would be an unnecessary gossip.'

Diego glances at her and then looks at the road again.

'It's not a proper date if the guy doesn't pick the girl up and I did tell you to skip work today. You're the one who insisted on going to work for a half day. So, technically it's not my fault that all the employees saw us together.'

Laura doesn't say anything more. Just looks out the window. It's not just that all the employees were there. Jared was there too. Now he'd think that she's not serious enough about her work and that's why she took a half day off just for a date. Not to forget, Diego hugged her like that in the parking lot.

Whatever. Let's just not think about how Jared had seen her being hugged by Diego. Why should it matter anyway?

Diego stops his car in front of a park. He gets out and opens the door for Laura and bows in a playful way. Laura gives an amused chuckle and does a small courtesy.