Chapter 10

As I walk into the ICU, Doctor Pryce smiles at me "Happy birthday, Doctor."

I hum as I stride into Harry's room "What did you see?"

Pryce sighs, before explaining "I walked in and checked everything, before noticing his eyes where open. He looked around for a moment, before falling asleep."

I give a short nod, before stepping towards Harry's bedside "Mister Pottah?" I ask, softly.

Slowly, his eyes open and I smile down at him "Hello, there, Mister Pottah. You've been in a vegetative state for eleven weeks. A coma for the past two. Can you speak?"

When he doesn't say anything, I nod and explain "After a patient has been in a coma or a vegetative state for a while, this often happens. It's nothing to worry about. Can you move a finger?"

I look down to his fingers and notice he doesn't move. When I look back to him, I take a deep breath, before asking "What about blinking? Can you blink once for yes and twice for no?"

He slowly blinks and I hum, before declaring "That's very good. Are you in any pain?"

After he blinks twice, I take a little pen light and demand "Will you please follow my finger, and only my finger?"

He blinks and I quickly check his eye dilation. I smile at him and ask "Would you like to your family?"

He blinks and I give a short nod, before telling him "I'll be back."

As I turn around, I find a motorbike helmet on one of the chairs. In confusion, I pick it up and turn back "Who left this?"

He looks me over, almost like he's looking through me. He bats his eyes a few times and I clear my throat, before taking a deep breath and asking "Is it the older person Ginny was talking about?"

He blinks once and I give a short nod, before walking out of the room.

~

As I walk into the waiting room, the Weasleys look at me and I chuckle "Better than I could have thought."

They release a breath of relief and I explain "He can't speak, or move, but he's responsive."

Molly furrows her brow and asks "I thought it was better than you thought?"

I give a confused look and remind "He's been in a vegetative state for months! You couldn't have expected he'd wake up and waltz around his hospital room!"

Ginny's furrows her brow and asks "How long until he's regular old Harry, again?"

I take a deep breath, before telling her "In my experience, the final results take about a year." She gives a horrified look, before I tell her "But he'll never be regular old Harry, again. He's right lung was completely collapsed. We'll have to watch it."

Ron takes a shakey breath and asks "How long until he's can speak, or move?"

I press my lips into a fine line and explain "I can't say for certain. He might have to be taught to speak again. We don't know if he'll ever move again. The swelling in his brain could have damaged his cerebral or his cerebellum, the parts of the brain involving vocalization, coordination, and movement."

They're silent for a moment, before Hermione asks "Can we see him?"

I give a short nod, before leading them through the hospital, to Harry's long-term resident room.

When we step into, Doctor Pryce smiles "Mister Pottah and I are having a riveting conversation."

I step up to his bedside and I ask "Is that right?" Harry blinks and I look to Doctor Pryce "What was it about?"

She smirks "You were a bad boy in school." I cock an eyebrow to Harry and he blinks, once.

I sigh and remark "What am I going to do with you?" He rolls his eyes and I smile, before looking back at the Weasleys "Come talk to him."

As they walk forward, Doctor Pryce looks to me "I'm going to go look for a letter board."

I give a short nod and she's off. When we're all alone, Hermione takes Harry's hand and smiles, weakly "Hi, Harry."

Harry's looks to her and I can tell he's happy. I tell her "So far, we're using one blink as yes, and two as no."

She gives a short nod, before Ron sighs "Harry, you scared the hell out of us."

The light in his eyes drops and he blinks once. Ginny holds his other hand and asks "Can you feel this?"

Harry blinks once and I smile "That's very good, Harry! We'll get you up in walking in no time!"

He gives me a doubting look and I move towards him feet. As I put pressure on his foot, I ask "Can you feel this?"

He blinks once and I smile "Then you have a remarkable chance of walking out of here!"

Doctor Pryce walks back in and hands me a letter board "I tried calling your mobile."

I clear my throat and tell her "I had to change my number. Getting twenty calls, a day, from a psycho ex."

She nods, before declaring "That reminds me. We have a patient in the ER asking for you."

I give a short nod, before returning to Harry's bedside. I hand the letter board over to Hermione, before declaring "I'll be back."

As I walk out, Ginny calls out "Draco?" When I step back in, I notice Harry batting his eyes.

I smile and remark "Don't worry! I didn't forget about you!" I pat his foot again, before insisting "I'll be back in twenty minutes or so!" I give a short nod to the Weasleys, before stepping out.

It was in that moment, when I was walking down the hall, that I had one of those moments. Like in the instant you call for a duel, or, in Harry's case, the moment he decided to ride without a helmet.

It's the moment where you do something you thought innocent, but ended up being the worst decision you could have made.