Chapter 25

When the Weasleys get back, I'm up in my room, experimenting on my longest experiment. Trying to remove the dark mark.

About five minutes later, there's a knock on the door. Hermione pokes her head in and asks "What are you doing?"

I moisten my lips, before telling her "Experimenting." She steps in and I tell her "An old experiment that I gave up on."

She nods, before asking "What are you trying to do with the potion?"

I shrug, before telling her "Comfort."

She furrows her brow and asks "You remember The Draught of Peace, don't you?"

I nod, before clarifying "It's a personal comfort, for myself."

She leans against the doorframe and sighs "Everyone understands that Harry needed to hear that."

I furrow my brow and explain "I thought his heart was stronger." She nods, before I continue to stir my potion.

She's silent for a long moment, before asking "Would you ever date Harry?"

I give her a confused look, before reminding her "He's my patient, Hermione."

She shrugs, before declaring "You act like an old married couple." I shrug it off and she points out "You're very patient with him."

I scratch my forehead and tell her "If you haven't noticed, I'm patient with all of my patients. Hints, the wording."

She shakes her head and insists "You don't act the same."

I give her an unamused look and she motions towards the door "Come on, it's suppertime."

With a sigh, I extinguish the flame and stand up. As I walk downstairs, I can hear shuffling around in the kitchen.

When I reach the bottom, I find the Weasleys forming an army line for food, as usual.

Silently, I slip into the backyard and take a seat in the grass. When I look up to the sky, it's a beautiful shade of orange.

After a solid minute of thought, I pull out my mobile and dial out the number. As I lay back, my mobile starts to buzz.

Only seconds later, the person on the other end picks up and asks "Hello?" In a muted tone.

I furrow my brow and ask "Is this Thomas O'Doyle?"

"Yes, I am." He states, before asking "Who is this?"

I take in a deep breath, before declaring "I want to preface this by asking, are you gay?"

He scoffs, before remarking "That's rather blunt."

I moisten my lips and clarify "I've worked with Jackie O'Doyle for four years, and she's tried to pawn me off to every last cousin of her's." I sigh "Only recently, she's finally figured out what bell to ring."

He takes in a deep breath, before declaring "I never got a name."

I clear my throat, before telling him "Draco Malfoy."

He chuckles softly "That's an interesting name." I hum and he asks "You live in Box?"

I hum again, before asking "Where do you live?"

"Trowbridge." He states, before I hear him shuffling "Fancy a drink?"

I take in a deep breath, trying to figure out what to say, before deciding "I can't drink."

"Oh!" He says, innocently, before asking "How about supper?"

A smile creeps across my face and I tell him "I'd like that." I take in a shakey breath, before asking "When?"

He hums, before declaring "I get out of primary around four. I'm free on the weekend."

I take in a deep breath, before telling him "I work until six on Sundays and Mondays. Until two, Tuesday to Friday. And I'm off on Saturdays."

He hums, before asking "Friday? Maybe I could drive up to Box?"

I smile and nod, before realizing that he can't see me "I'd like that." I gulp, before asking "Seven?"

"Yeah." He agrees, before asking "Where do you want to meet?"

I can hear a drunk walking home and I declare "Barry's Pub."

He scoffs, before telling me "Yeah, I know where that is."

"Draco!" Ginny calls from the utility room "Better hurry up! Before Ron helps himself to your's!"

I call over my shoulder "Right, mate! I'll be in in a minute!"

"Gotta go?" Thomas asks and I hum, before he asks "Got a big family?"

I scoff, before forcing myself up and telling him "You've got no idea."

He chuckles, before declaring "I'll let you go, then."

I give a pleased hum "Bye." And with that, I hang up.

When I get inside, I take the remaining plate off the counter and walk towards the shepard's pie.

After filling my plate with shepard's pie, steamed carrots and cabbage, and a bit of extra gravy, I walk into the dining room to find a spot between Charlie and Teddy.

As I take a seat, Charlie passes the rolls and I take a couple. Molly looks to me and asks "Was that work calling?"

I shake my head, before clearing my throat "I'm not going to be here for supper on Friday."

Arthur looks to me in concern and asks "Oh?"

I take in a deep breath, before moistening my lips and declaring "I've got a date."

Charlie furrows his brow and asks "Where'd you find another gay guy, in this town."

I gulp and tell him "The nurse from today. She gave me his number..." I nod in the awkwardness, before standing and declaring "I forgot a drink."

~

Later that night, there's a knock on my door "Come in!" I call out. Teddy pokes his head in and I smile, softly "Hey."

He gives a timid smile, before declaring "Edward was a boy of eight. He died a horrible death, by the hands of his father."

I shut my file and stand up "How do you know about that?"

He gives a weak smile, before his ears come to a point "I heard Edward, and I listened in."

I set my jaw and tell him "You weren't supposed to hear that."

He furrows his brow and asks in a harsh voice "Is that the reason you suddenly care about me? Because a boy, pretty similar to me, was abused?"

I shake my head and declare "I care about you, because I love you, Teddy!"

When I take a step forward, he takes a step back and I stop myself. He looks to me in a hatred I've seen in myself "No you don't!" He hisses "You'll never love me!"

I shake my head and he looks at me in disgust "Just-" he shakes his head "Stay away from me!"

With that, he flips tail and runs.