Chapter 21

A couple of days later, I walk into the hospital, dressed in my average work fashion.

As soon as I walk in, the nurses look to me. I furrow my brow and lower my gaze to walk through the halls.

Similar to a few days ago, I see more and more nurses as I near my office. When I find Doctor Pryce clocking out, she smiles at me "Happy to have you back, Doctor."

I smile and declare "Happy to be back, Doctor."

She gives a weak smile, before whispering "If you're not ready, you don't have to be here."

I shake my head, before declaring "A week and a half is all I needed." She rubs my arm, gingerly.

After a moment, I ask "Is it just me, or are the nurses acting weird?" She shrugs, nonchalantly.

"I'm going to head home. Make Dylan brekkie before he's off to uni." She states, before heading out.

After I punch in, I walk down the hall. When I get to my office, I quickly unlock the door and step in.

Tossing my bag on the sofa, I turn on the lights to find my office has rainbow streamers and fairy lights hanging from the ceiling.

A banner hang over my desk, reading "WELCOME BACK, DOCTOR MALFOY!"

"SUPRISE!"

"Fu-" I yelp as I jolt in shock and turn around to find the nurses standing in the hall.

Charlotte holds a cake in her hands that reads "Why is it, all the good one's are gay?"

I look them over to find they seem pretty okay, before pointing up "Who's bright idea was it to put up fairy lights?"

Charlotte starts giggling in embarrassment "I totally didn't think about it! I just thought it looked cute!"

I scoff, before asking "What kind of cake is it?"

"Chocolate." One nurse states, before declaring "There's also a carrot cake and vanilla fairy cakes in the breakroom."

I nod, before following them out of the office.

~

Around ten, I walk into Harry's room to find the Weasleys sat on the two couches and the bedside chair.

Hermione holds Harry hand as Ron feeds Rose a bottle "Sh-e's so b-b-ig!" Harry smiles.

Hermione smiles "She's missed her uncle."

Harry grunts, and I smile, before asking "How are you feeling this morning, Mister Pottah?"

He smirks halfheartedly "Good, D-oc." I smirk at that, before stepping forward and lifting the end of the sheets.

I look up to him and ask "Can you wiggle your toes, for me?" His toes flinch and I smile "No paralysis, so far. That's very good."

He smiles and I cover his feet again. His other hand beckons me forward and I take it.

He's able to move our hands towards his chest "Mobility has grown, exponentially. We'll get you up on your feet, maybe in the next week or so." Molly gasps and I explain "That's being very hopeful, mind you."

She nods and I look towards his food desk to find a menu for lunch. I furrow my brow and pick it up "Do you want strawberry, orange, lime, or grape jelly?"

He takes a deep breath, before telling me "L-ime or an-ge"

I smile, before checking both the lime and the orange box "Orange, carrot, grape, apple, or cranberry juice?"

He doesn't speak for a moment, so I look to him to find him contemplating, like it's the most important decision in the world. Finally, he nods "C-ran-b-" he sighs in annoyance and continues "b-err-y"

I nod, before checking the box and declare "You're going to get a supplement drink, like you do with every meal. But-" I playfully look over my shoulder, before whispering "It's a little known secret that we have fruit sorbet." I smile "Do you want one?"

He nods and I write it in the notes, before asking "Do you want orange, pineapple, raspberry, lime, lemon, or rainbow?"

His eyes light up and Hermione looks at me like I've just found the cure for AIDS "Rain-bow!" Harry insists and I chuckle at his excitement.

"Not much fun to be had in a hospital, is there?" I ask as I write down rainbow. He shakes his head and I sigh "Last question, chicken or vegetable broth?"

He moistens his lips, before trying to force out "Ve-e-e-e-g-g-ta-b-le"

I nod, before checking the box and clarifying "This is not the only things you'll be eating, while you're on a liquid diet. The supplement, as you know, goes through your PEG tube, and is that weird foggy liquid."

He nods and I look towards the Weasleys on my side of the room "I'm about to lift his blankets and gown to see how his PEG looks."

As they cross the room, I sanitize my hands and pull on some gloves. With one hand, I move the blanket to hide the Weasleys view of Harry's business. When I lift his gown, I quickly examine his PEG tube, before relaying everything.

While I toss my gloves, I explain "It looks fine. You'll get it out, when we determine you can eat on your own. Maybe within the next day or two, when we get a good bowel movement."

He gives an embarrassed look, before I smile "There is nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone poops."

He sighs and I elaborate "When you can stomach starchier, creamier liquids, like milk, ice cream, smooth soups, custards, so on."

He furrows his brow and asks "Whe-n can I ea-t a po-ta-to?" I smile at him in amusement.

As I sanitize again, I declare "When you can stomach it."

My beeper goes off and I find I'm needed in the OR. I take in a deep breath, before looking to the Weasleys "I must go, but test him with the sherbet. Get him to tell you what colour he wants, yeah?"

They nod and I look to Harry "Don't go anywhere." He smiles at my joke and I start a jog towards the OR.

~

As I scrub up, the nurse explains to me "Adolescent male, approximately age three, massive head trauma, bruising of the abdomen, found on the side of the road, naked."

When I'm in my surgical wear, I step into the OR and find a sight I never wished to see. The little boy is severely underweight, his skin is horribly aged and pale from lake of sunlight. He's covered in bite marks and cigarette burns.

For the very first time, something hits me. The people I operate on, are human. They have a life. A story!

They all have a moment when their lives come coming down around them. In many cases, several.

With that in mind, I take my scalpel in hand, and begin to cut a flap of skin out of the young boy's head.