Chapter 23

As the roast slowly cooks, Teddy and I sit on the couch, talking about things, like Hogwarts. After about an hour, he fell asleep.

With a soft smile, I cover him in a throw, before retrieving the file of the boy. Tiredly, I flip to the labs sheet and find something very odd.

The DNA from the little boy and the DNA from his attacker were a familial match.

In disgust, I walk into the dining room and sit at the table. As I continue to flip through, a find a positive identification.

The boy, was, in fact, not three.

He was eight.

In the man's house, they found a cupboard with three shelves in it. The cops believe he's lived there for the entirety of his life.

The boys name was Edward.

Silently, place the file down and lean back in my chair. In shock, I look towards the sleeping Teddy.

I've known his birth name since the day of my trial. Now, I could really imagine what he would have been through, if he was given to a pedophile.

After an hour of just staring at sweet, innocent, little Teddy, I stand and check the roast.

When I shut the door to the oven, Teddy asks "Draco?" I turn and look down to him, sweetly "Do you think he died in a lot of pain? The man?"

I furrow my brow and shrug "No clue, Teddy." I give a weak smile "From what I've read, I hope he did."

He nods, before reaching down to pick up Scorpio. As Teddy's hair slips to blue, I smile at him "Can you do something for me, Teddy?" He gives me a confused look and I shrug "Never forget that there's colour in this life, despite the darkness."

He gives a weak smile, before walking back towards the living room.

~

As I load my plate, I feel a hand on my back. When I look back, I find Molly looking me over "How are you doing?"

I turn to look over the refrigerator door, which is right behind me. Teddy rummages through it and I can't help but smile "What are you looking for, big guy?"

He continues to rummage, as he asks "Do we have any Oasis?"

I simply pull one out of the door and hand it to him. He smiles "Thanks!"

I smile and he bounces into the dining room. When Molly and I are alone, I tell her "His name was Edward."

She gives a confused look, before asking "The boy?"

I take in a deep breath and declare "He was eight, kept in a cupboard no bigger than two thirds of a meter high, half a meter deep, and a meter wide."

She gives a pitied look as I cross my arms. After a moment, she asks "How did they find out who the boy was?"

I look down to my feet and tap my foot, slowly "It was a familial match, the two DNA strands."

She gives me a confused look and I look her straight in the eyes "The boy's attacker was his own father."

The life drains her features, and I tell her "Last night, I didn't sleep." I shake my head as tears come to my eyes "Everytime I closed my eyes, I saw that boy. And I just-"

I shrug and she pulls me into a hug. As we stand there, I shake my head "I don't understand how someone could do that to their own kid." I pull away and wipe my eyes "Or any kid, for that matter."

She wipes a tear from my face and I take a deep breath, before moistening my lips "I'm going to go straighten myself out, before supper."

~

The next week, I step of my third checkup, meaning I've got a week left on my antiretrovirals.

When I step into Harry's room, he smiles at me from his upright position and asks "How was your appoin-t-men-t?"

I smile at him and shrug "So far, negative." He gives a short nod, before flipping the channel on the telle.

I sit next to him, in my work clothes and he looks to the clock "I'm rav-enous! And anover two hours until br-EA-kfast!"

I smile and joke "Patients are usually still asleep at half six in the morning, you know?"

He gives me an unamused look, before he starts to itch his stomach, near where the PEG tube was "Don't supp-ose you know what time I'll get the cath-E-ter out, do you?"

I furrow my brow at him and he stops itching, before telling him "When you can walk to the bathroom. It's only been three weeks since you woke up!"

He gives me an annoyed look "I'm bored!" He whines, before declaring "Everyone else is walking around and I'm just laying here!"

I hum, before reminding "It's going to take you a while to get the strength back in your legs. We've discussed this. You start rehabilitation, tomorrow."

He sighs, before clicking to the next channel. We sit in silence for a while, before he exclaims "This is tor-t-ure!"

I smile at him, before leading back in my chair and asking "Would you like me to push your rehabilitation to today?"

He nods, instantly "I want to get out of this bed!"

I nod and stand "I'll get it scheduled for this afternoon, then."

He calls after me as I walk out "Thank you!"

I hum, before striding towards the nurse's station. When I get there, Nurse Jackie looks to me and asks "Did you give Thomas a ring?"

I take in a deep breath, before telling her "Not yet." She cocks an eyebrow to me and I lie "I haven't had time."

She furrows her brow and declares "Well, you should really give him a ring. We've got this reunion coming up, and he hasn't got a date!"

I take my thumbs on the counter and nod, before asking "Think you could help me with a rehabilitation session with my ex coma patient, around half two?"

She nods, before declaring "That is, if I don't get too busy."

I hum, before telling her "I'll be in my office."