Chapter 24

At half two, I walk into Harry's room and smile "Who's ready to start rehabilitation?"

Harry raises his hand, weakly, and I look to the Weasleys "If you would, please, a bit of privacy?" I motion towards Harry "We're going to switch Harry to an adult nappy, to see if he can urinate, by himself."

Harry smiles "I get the tube out of my dick?" I nod and he gives a grateful look "Finally!"

After the Weasleys walk out, Jackie lowers the privacy curtain and I move Harry's blanket. We stop to sanitize our hands and put on gloves.

When I move his gown up, Jackie places a sheet of medical paper below Harry's testicles, and over his thighs.

As I work, I explain to him "I am going to use my left middle, ring, and pinky finger, to gently push back any foreskin."

As I do, he jokes "At l-east buy me din-n-n-er, fi-rst!" I glance up to him and he smirks.

I do the same, before looking to Jackie and explaining "My lovely assistant, here, is going to pull the water from the catheter balloon."

As she does, I can see Harry tensing up. I smile at him and reassure "It's not as bad as you think. Just a slight pinch."

Jackie looks to me with a short nod. I look to Harry and nod "Relax. Take a deep breath in and out."

He takes in a deep breath, and as he releases it, I gently guide the catheter out.

He looks to me in shock "Is- is it out?" I scoff, before nodding. He releases a breath as Jackie takes the catheter and catheter bag into the lavatory.

After tossing the sheet of paper, I change my gloves, retrieve the adult nappy, and walk back towards his bedside.

Gently, I rest my fingers below his hip and tell him "I'm going to lift you, just enough to get the back of the nappy below you."

I carefully lift his hip, only millilitres. When I sit him back down, I quickly tab the front down and ask "Is it too tight?"

He shakes his head and I nod as Jackie walks out of the bathroom with an empty catheter bag.

After she disposes of it, I lower Harry's gown and walk towards the door. When I open it, the Weasleys look to me "You can come in."

When they step in, they back into the corner and I step towards Harry's bedside.

He easily sits up, but, like his shakey little arms, he struggles to get his legs to the edge. All the while, his heartrate climbs, dramatically.

Jackie looks to me in concern and I stop Harry, instantly "We can't do this, today."

He gives a confused look and asks "Why not?"

I take in a deep breath, before declaring "You need more bedside rehabilitation, before we can get you up and around."

He gives a heartbroken look and I gingerly ease him back in bed "If you'd like, I can get pur physically therapist to come every morning, instead of three times a week."

He looks to me and reminds "You told me we could do this, to-day!"

I nod, before explaining "Your muscle atrophy is worse than I thought. My apologizes."

His face goes stern and he mocks "Your ap-olog-ize?" He raises his voice and asks "You don-'t give a fly-ing F-ucK ab-out me!"

"Yes, I do." I speak in a stern voice, catching his attention "I could try to sugarcoat it for you, but obviously you won't get it through your thick skull if I do."

Jackie looks at me in shock and I motion towards his monitor "Your heartrate skyrocketed to 170, just because you tried to get to the edge of the bed! Currently, if your heartrate gets to 195, you drop dead! And that number, drops, every year!" He looks at me in shock over my outburst "Your legs are fucking sticks! You wouldn't make it two feet, before you collapse onto the floor, and never get up!"

He presses his lips into a fine line and I take a deep breath, before declaring "Your life, was literally in my hands. If I really didn't give a flying fuck about you, you wouldn't be alive. You know why?"

He's completely silent for a moment, so I clarify in a harsh tone "For fifteen hours, while I was operating on you, one of my nurses was keeping an eye on the clock. Nobody expected you to live, and for twelve of those fifteen, neither did I."

I motion towards towards his chest "You have internal crash marks from the three times we had to revive you."

I scratch my forehead and chuckle at my own stupidity "It's case's like yours, or the boy's, that I take home with me. Because, for some fucked up reason, I emotional attach myself to them."

He looks at me, searching for what to say, so I beat him to it "So, you are going to lay in that bed, watch mind numbing teller, and get physical therapy." I motion towards the chair and walker and declare "We'll revisit this at a later date."

And with that, I turn and walk out of the hospital room.

When I get to Scott's office, I poke my head in and he smiles "Hey, I thought you went home."

I sigh, before taking a seat on his couch "Will you check on my acute care patient, in about an hour? See if he's peed?"

He nods, before asking "Why, did you take his catheter out?" I nod and he asks "If he walking, or-?"

I scoff, before telling him "If he walks, he'll drop dead." He gives me a weak smile and I scratch my forehead.

Jackie pokes her head in and asks "Can I speak to you, Doctor Malfoy?"

When I step outside, she asks "What was that?"

I set my jaw for a moment, before explaining "I knew him in school. He was very selective in what rules he folded, and what he learned. If I wouldn't have laid it out, he wouldn't have picked it up."

She sets her jaw and states "I was talking about the fact that you got emotional."

I take in a deep breath, before looking down the hall, just so I don't have to look at her "We've got a lot of history."

She furrows her brow and asks "What do you mean?"

I moisten my lips, before explaining in a roundabout way "We hated each other for awhile. During my last year at school with 'em, he nearly killed me, because I did something, not so nice. I saw him later, and lied to my insane family. Saved his life. He later returned the favor. And when I chose loyalty to him, rather than my family, which is one of the reasons my father disowned me."

She gives a confused look and declares "That makes no sense."

I take in a deep breath, before telling her "My father forced me into a fascism war, between the liberals and the conservatives."

The gives a shocked look and I nod, before declaring "After my father disowned me, I lived in a car for four years and had to scam money away from rich kids."

She takes in a deep breath and pats me on the back "We're good."