Chapter 47

As I sit at the table, a spotted dick with custard in front of me, there's a knock on the door. Immediately, I stand and walk towards the door.

The time is ten, and Harry, Ginny, and Narcissa have sat in front of me for the past two hours, persuading me with the sweet.

I haven't said a word.

When I open the door, I find a police officer at my doorstep "Hello?" I ask, emotionlessly.

He takes in a deep breath, before asking "Draco Malfoy?" I nod, before glancing behind him to find he's the only one "May I come in? Take a seat?"

I furrow my brow and ask "I'm sorry, why are you here?"

He glances over my shoulder as I hear Harry's cane "I'm afraid I come with bad news. You should really take a seat."

I give an annoyed look "Just tell me."

He takes in a deep breath, before declaring "Thomas O'Doyle was in an automobile accident. It appears he swerved to miss a wild animal."

I stand there, emotionlessly, before Harry asks "Is he alright?"

The officer shakes his head, before sighing "I'm afraid not."

Harry looks to me, but I can't find it in me to feel anything. After a moment, he wraps his arm around my waist and tells the officer "Come in."

As he leads me into the living room, Ginny and Narcissa make the officer a cup of tea.

Harry carefully wraps me in a blanket, before leaning me back on the couch "Have a bit of a lie down. Relax yourself."

After a moment, he walks towards the dining room and tells the officer "I believe he's in a bit of shock."

The officer nods, before declaring "Thomas O'Doyle's sister requested we alert Mister Malfoy of the incident."

Harry furrows his brow and nods, before looking back to me. He lowers his voice to a whisper "What condition was the body in?"

"Pardon?" The officer asks.

Harry covers himself "I only wonder if it would be an open or closed casket."

The officer shrugs, before sipping his tea "It appears that his neck was snapped in the accident. His face was in tact."

Harry nods, before looking to Ginny and Narcissa "Do you think-?" He leads off.

They nod, before Ginny stands "I'll call Mum and Dad. Send a letter to Charlie."

When she disappears into the kitchen, the officer asks "If I may?"

Narcissa motion towards the living room "My son is bipolar. Tragic events could cause his disorder to overwhelm his medication. If this causes something, we'd like to be prepared."

The officer looks back into the living room, before whispering softly "My apologizes." He looks back to them "He's a doctor, isn't he?"

Harry nods, before explaining "Normally he's completely ordinary. He's just like anyone else, except he's on medication."

The officer nods, before speaking softly "That's reassuring."

~

When I wake up the next morning, still wrapped in that blanket, I find a mass of redheads staring down at me.

I sit up with a grunt, before asking "Where's the party?"

They stare down at me in pity and I check my watch to find it's nearly nine "Fuck! I'm late for work!" I roar as I move Scorpio off my lap and start to stand up, only Harry presses me back, softly.

"Pryce and Williams are covering your workload." Harry states, before sitting down next to me "Did you kill Thomas?"

I sit up anyway and remark "Like he didn't deserve it." Harry sighs and I scoff "That motherfucker deserved a whole lot worse!"

Harry shakes his head "It doesn't mean you can go around killing people!"

I wave it off, before standing up and sliding past the Weasleys "He needed a right good kick in the arse."

When I walk into the kitchen to retrieve a bottle of Bushmills, along with a glass. As I pour myself a drink, Harry steps forward and declares "You know you're not supposed to drink."

I knock one down, before declaring "I've gotta play the grieving lover, don't I?"

He bats his eyes in confusion, before sighing "You're not acting normal, Draco... Doctor Williams said-"

"That we need to fuck with my meds?" I ask, before telling him "Let me get loaded before we up my downers."

He nods, before asking "So you know you've been acting strange? You understand that?"

I take in a deep breath, before nodding and taking a drink "Hyperactive sex drive, irritation, mood swings, trouble with the law." I take another drink, before pouring myself another drink "It all started around the time your friends showed up."

He gives a confused look and I shrug "Old memories come flooding back, the brain does weird shit."

He furrows his brow and asks "So, you're blaming me for this?"

I furrow my brow and declare "I'm not blaming you." I look down at my drink, before taking a gulp "I've gotta play distraught lover, somehow. Question is, can I pull it off without going postal."

He sighs, before taking the bottle from me "Three is enough."

I give a smug smirk, before ripping the bottle from his hands "I suspect Alice will be here soon. If you want me to get away with his murder, send her up and leave me the bottle. Tell her I've had a mental breakdown."

When I start up the stairs, Harry calls after me "You didn't have to kill him."

I turn to look at him, a soft smile on my face "I ended his suffering much faster than I should have. Five minutes is way shorter than the fifteen or twenty minutes you suffered."

He gives a confused look "You snapped his neck?"

I take a sip of my drink, before declaring "I treated him the way he treated you. Gave him hope, then signed his death warrant."

He furrows his brow and asks "What makes you better than him?"

I give a cocky snicker "Oh honey, what makes you think I've ever been better than him?"

Without another word, I stride up the stairs.