Chapter 15

"I'm sorry, Professor Mcgonagall, that I came to disturb you once again, but Malfoy wanted to hand you the book of which he found in his manor," Hermione said seriously.

"Book, you say? Let me see it." Professor Mcgonagall extended her hand and Draco tap the book on his hand, putting it down slowly.

Professor Mcgonagall pushed her glasses up her nose, and flipped through the brownish papers. Her eyes became cold and hard as she saw another page as she saw more creepier and more darker arts of the wizarding world.

"Mr Malfoy," she said coldly, "Did you actually brought this illegal item to school?"

Hermione defended him immediately. Even she was shocked with her reaction. "No! Professor, he found this in his home and wanted to give it to you. He didn't want to cause trouble."

"Really? A Malfoy that doesn't want to cause trouble. That's very new," Mcgonagall said with little sarcasm.

"Please, Professor. He mean no harm to the rest of us. Give him a chance to start over," she pleaded.

Professor Mcgonagall sighed with sympathy. "Very well, if you say so, Ms Granger. But if I proved you wrong, you and him shall be in great punishment. It can, very unfortunately, be expelled. Are you willing to take the risk and my trust?"

"Hermione, don't! I'll handle it myself. I can prove that I didn't try to make a horcrux or trying to hurt anyone," Draco hissed from behind.

"Malfoy! You know that you didn't try to do it! So don't be afraid of letting me get into this. I know what I'm thinking and doing."

"Hermione, it's really none of your business -"

She glared at him and squeezed his arm. "Do you want to get into trouble or not?"

"Of course not, but-"

"Then let me stick with you."

He seemed a little dazed, but he quickly looked away, his cheeks turning into a light pink. Hermione ignored it.

"Very well then, Ms Granger. For now, I shall discuss with the other professors about the book and come to a conclusion. You may go back and enjoy your dinner."

"Thank you, Headmistress," Draco bowed and walked out of the room with her.

As soon as they were out of earshot, he pulled her aside and glared at her, annoyed. "What was that for? That was my book! You don't need to begged to the Professor for helping me," he hissed.

"What's wrong with helping you? I believe you, Draco. You're not going to be evil, or worse, heartless, anymore. And I trust that you don't have any mischievous act on your sleeve."

"You, Hermione Granger, trust me? The girl I've called a mudblood or a beaver trust me?"

Hermione gritted her teeth. This seriously can't be happening right after they were friends.

"Yes! I trust you, ferret. Stop doubting it."

"But why? Why would you?" he said, not giving it away.

She really wanted to scream and hex this gorgeous guy.

"Because, I know that somewhere down inside, you aren't evil! You have sympathy, and I know that you don't want to hurt others. You let me in your heart, you stopped bullying me, we've even became friends! We still hang out, right? So don't ask me why. Because I just know."

Hermione let out a deep sigh and stared up at him. She was puffing and she swear that her face had became red and all.

Draco's eyes glinted silver. Then, unexpectedly, he hugged her. A friendly hug, like just normal friends. Hermione squeaked as the tall figure loomed over her and patted her back.

And yes, she had to remind herself that this was just friends. It couldn't be something more than that, right?

"Thank you for trusting me. I - appreciate it, Hermione."

She tip toed to hug him back, because she was a head shorter than him. Was it her that was too short or had Draco became a half giant?

"Anytime, Malfoy," she whispered.

They awkwardly shook hands again and left to their separate roads. Hermione walked slowly, carrying her backpack when he called out to her again.

Hermione was alarmed. She made sure that there wasn't anyone watching when they were hugging and all. Could there be -?

"Library again. Tomorrow, yeah?" he was standing at the last columm, waving his hand and heading back to his dormitory.

Hermione waved back, then turned to leave. She couldn't focus on him anymore, she needed to get back to Ron. Fast.

*********

Harry, Ginny, Neville and Hermione sat down together with Ron a seat away from Hermione.

She was panicking so badly, that her fingers trembled when she wanted to spread jam onto her toast. Why was she that nervous? Calm down, Hermione.

"Hey guys, want to watch Harry teach some fifth graders after lessons together? Four thirty at the quidditch pitch, yeah?" Ginny asked.

No one knows that Hermione had been hanging out with Draco, maybe some girls and Ginny. She only know that she rode a broom with him, not hanging around in the quidditch pitch or library everyday.

But today she was suppose to meet him again. Why must it be today? Should she tell him?

"Hermione, wanna come?" Ron spontaneously said.

She was so surprise that her toast flew out from her hand and barely caught it when she pinched the crust and the rest of it teared, dropping onto the cold floor.

Hermione was embarrassed. She bit her lips and hunched her back, not making eye contact.

She heard a familiar laughter. Something that she didn't hear for a long time, and she was dying to hear it.
Ron was laughing. It was nice to hear him.

She sheepishly smiled and played with the wavy end of her brown locks.

"So, you going?" he said once again.

Hermione nodded her head, wiping her plan with Draco from her mind.

Ron rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. Hermione guessed that he'll probably bring that Ravenclaw girl, but her mood was ten times better before. He was being nice to her. Perhaps he was sorry for yelling and mistreating her.

She didn't need to draft a letter for Draco to explain. When Hermione was waking outside the Great Hall, he gave her a small smile and a thumbs up.

When Hermione decided to smile back, the black haired snob stuck out her tongue and cuddle against his arm and the both of them walked out together.

At least Ron asked her. Maybe they could patch things up soon, and things will be the same again.

With her fluttering heart, she waltz to Potions class.