Chapter 39

Hermione crouched near the river bank, dipping her feet under the cold, murky water. Her thoughts whirled as she remmebered yesterday how slim her chance was to escape.

Edward was determined to drag her back into that stupid cellar but she manged to pull free and hex him with his own wand that was strapped to his robes.

Unfortunately, in the process, he hexed her with an unknown curse that she didn't know and now her legs were aching on the inside, throbbing with an itchy pain.

Hermione winced as she try to wash them, but they just hurt a lot more. She pulled them out and rubbed them against the wet grass. The only thing she had with her was just her pink heels, which didn't help one bit at all.

Sometimes when she met rough, sharp stones that blocked her path she would put them on for safety. She hated cuts more than any other injuries after having plenty everywhere on her body.

If she knew where she was going, then it would help a lot, because Hermione was clueless on the path she tracked. It was noon, the sun just above her head, and the water didn't shine one bit.

If things couldn't get worse, the beige dress that Ginny lend her was soaked with her own smelly blood and the lace was making her itchy, especially near her thighs.

Hermione sighed. She ripped the bottom layer apart, till it was knee length. Using the extra silky fabric, she bandaged her legs and other deep scratches caused by thorn bushes and some wild plant out there.

Hermione lay down and curled into a ball. She wanted to stay like this for a while because she was tired and the pain was annoying her. Just for a while, she thought.

Through the blades of tall grasses she saw a small opening where it looked like a paddy field. She straightened up and took a closer look. It definitely looked like a paddy field to her. Maybe there are some people there that might find her way and some better clothes and food..

Hermione made her way through the muddy path with her bare feet. They were red and covered with splinters, but what other choice does she have other than her poor throbbing legs?

As she got closer, she saw coneflowers everywhere. Isn't this.. The place where Draco brought her? That's excellent! She knows the way back already. Three more hills, and she'll get back to Hogwarts. Hermione walked faster until she saw the glistening rejection reflection of the black lake. Her heart leaped in excitement as she saw the tallest tower in hogwarts peeking out from the light green hill a couple of miles away.

She ran quickly, rolled down the slope and made herself walked, and she continued to do so, despite that her feet felt like it was stepping on needles.

For two hours she managed, but soon her head was starting to spin and her hans had little red bumps on them. Her feet was covered with wet leaves and mud, and one of her nails was coming off because she hit on a rock too hard.

Hermione finally saw Hogwarts as she slowly rise where she could see the horizon. She was going to fainted soon enough and at least she'll make it there.

Smoke coming out from Hagrid's hut that was made with brick and straw and Hermione swore she heard the clay pots clattering as he baked rock cakes for them as usual.

Then, in a flash, her mind suddenly flashed to a certain scene. It was like how half of her soul went to see Draco last night, but this time she pictured it clearly.

Hermione watched as Draco lay motionless on the cold icy floor of the prefect bathroom and Edward Harris laughing and chuckling to himself.

"Oh no, please don't die!" She whispered to herself and smashed onto the hard ground to keep on running. It was killing her, but she knew she must try her best to save him.

As she made it to Hogwarts grounds, someone blond and tall came rushing down from a tower and Hermione sighed loudly in relief that he was safe and it was just her mind hallucinating nonsense.

For a brief moment, all she could hear was her own heartbeat beating loudly. She ran faster and faster as Draco did the same, grinning so much that she actually thought his face was going to end up forever like this.

He reached out to embrace her, but Hermoine's heart throbbed with unbearable pain. She collapsed onto the ground and spit out red, dark blood. Students gasped and crowded her while some screamed loudly for the Professors.

"Hermione! Hermione!" Draco called out desperately to her and hugged her. He was whimpering like a dog which made her feel so bad.

She howled in pain as she watched the blood oozed out from her stomach. It looked like a bear had clawed it, the flesh exposed and even she could see a bit of her rib cage. Tears streamed out from her eyes.

"NOO! HERMIONE, look at me, look at me!" he pushed back her brown hair and she faced him weakly.

"It hurts.." she cried and screamed as pain explored her body.

Draco started crying. He tried his best to help her with bandaging but it didn't help much. The blood was coming out non stop.

"Hermione, you're going to be alright. Just hold it and you'll be fine.."

She knew he was trying to comfort her, but even he himself didn't sound so sure about it. Hermione knew the end was near, she was dying.

She reached out to touch that handsome face of his and he pressed her soft hand against his cheek.

"I'm so sorry," she blurted, "You're going to do better. You'll marry a wonderful  girl, have some beautiful kids of your own.." she spat out more blood and more salty tears poured out.

"What are you saying? Stop talking and rest," Draco pulled her closer and hugged her.

"No..I..."

"Shshsh. You're going to be safe, alright? You're going to be safe."

Hermione thought he sounded like he was reassuring himself than her. She wrapped her arms tightly one last time.

Their heart beats quickly and suddenly when they were linked, one of them stopped working.