2- Maybe, We Met Once Upon A Time

Tobias pov

How did she know me?
Did we meet before?
My father must have told her.

I just did realize that his hand was resting on my head. He had his "best" smile on his face. The one that could fool anyone who didn't truly know him.

"Timothèe! So nice to see you again." My father said while walking towards them. "That your boy?" He asked examining me with a critical eye.

"Well yes he is." Was my father's reply. I didn't notice when the lady came towards me and reached out.

Quick reflexes caused me to jump back. "Oh, dear." She muttered. I saw her shocked face. Then my own face changed to fear.

"Pardon my son's behavior. He's a bit of a daydreamer, so you must have frightened him."

My father explained with a giggle as he squeezed my shoulder. I know as a way of him to suppress his anger in front of others.

I had to hold back a tremble. "Well. I'll leave him in your care. I have to go back to my business."

"Kate take the boy and freshen him up." "Well certainly. Come on Tobias."

She reached for my shoulder, slow enough for me to pull away. When I didn't, she proceeded.

"Wait, but I already-" "Excuse me Tim, but I have to have a little talk with my son. "
Oh shit, I'm dead! My father placed his hand on my shoulder and directed me away from there.

"Don't take too long, Mathias. We can't be late!" "I know Tim, I know! Just let me speak to my boy." He huffed.

When we got out of ear shot, his facade changed. His eyes had that darkness to it that would always make me tremble.
"Tobias, you know why I have to speak to, right?"

"Y-yes, sir." "Good. You're not a complete idiot." He said shoving one hand in his pocket. "Now listen here, you are to do as they say without questioning. No backtalk."

I cringed as he stressed the syllables in his words. "Do. You. Understand. Me?" He growled taking a step forward.
"Yes, s-sir!" I yelped. "Good." His fake smile was back.

"Now get out of my sight." I shook my head violently as I scrambled to get far away from him as quickly as possible.

"Come on Timothèe! We ain't got all day." As I got closer I heard the other man mumble;

"Damn bastard. " The comment made me giggle. Which not in my favor, caused him to stop and look back at me. The look he gave me, I couldn't distinguish.

"Come along dear. You must be washed up before Jojo gets here."
I complied, not wanting to cause any more problems.

***

Later that evening around dinner time, Mrs. Katelyn - I mean Kate apologized about not being able to eat with me. She had some of the servants do it instead. Something about wanting to eat with her son.

I waited for awhile in the room I was assigned, then made my move when I thought the coast was clear.
I need to find some painkillers since I forgot to pack mine.

I didn't really want to be seen since the clothes they give me were shorts and a long-sleeved shirt.
Thankful for the long sleeves, but not the shorts! They could see the scars and bruises that plagued my body there.

When everything was quiet, I walked into the hall. Occasionally looking around. However, I ended up misguiding myself to the dinning room and not the bathroom.

I was not prepared for the family drama I walked in on.

"What do you mean he's staying here!?" "I mean, your father offered to take him in while they were away."

The boy flopped down in the chair.

"Ugh!" "Aw come on Jojo, don't be like that! Look, maybe you and him can bond and get to know each other again."

Again? Wait...I've met these people before!?

"No! He won't remember me, and I'm glad to keep it that way!"

He stood up to leave.

"Jonah! At least have dinner with me!"
"I'm not hungry."

He grumbled then turning to walk my way. I hid into the dark corner and watched as he passed by. What a jerk! Who in their right mind would talk to their mother like that!?

I came from out of my hiding place and just as I was about to go back, I saw the look on Mrs. Katelyn's - Kate's face. It hurt to look at, her sadness.
I went over to her and mentally cringed at how raspy my voice sounded.

"Have you eaten yet?" I asked. She looked at me surprised then down at her plate warily. "No. I wanted to eat with my son, but as you can tell he didn't want to." She sighed.

I nodded as I pulled out the chair in front of her and sat down. She looked up at me shocked. "Well, I just thought that I'll sit with you, so that - that you won't be a-alone."

She still stared at me awe struck. "But- but, if you don't want me to, I can-" "No, no, no! Of course, go right ahead." She smiled warmly at me.

I returned the gesture. Meanwhile, while she ate and made bits of conversation I was wondering about when and where did I meet these people before.

.
.
.
.
.