Seven

Namjoon had booked a hotel earlier in the night with the intention of staying there whether he found the vampire or not. He'd already dropped off his possessions in the room, including a duffle bag full of sweet smelling blood.

Namjoon can see the fledglings fingers itching to lunge for the bag as soon as Namjoon lets him inside the room. Namjoon throws off his baseball cap and face mask.

"I-" the vampire begins. He swallows, trying to tear his eyes away from the bags of blood that he can smell in the bag. "My name's is Jeon Jungkook."

"Kim Namjoon." The older vampire pulls off his hoodie. "Before we talk you should feed from me. It'll help."

Jungkook opens his mouth as if to question Namjoon, but he closes it quickly and just nods. He's so confused that he'd do anything Namjoon tells him. The fledging has so many questions in his mind that he doesn't know where to begin. Namjoon sighs internally. He really doesn't know how to handle this. He doesn't know how to answer all his questions. Namjoon takes off his shirt.

Jungkook looks away, maybe out of habit. Namjoon doesn't care. He takes on fingernail and slices open the skin above his heart. Since the blood in him flows so slowly, it'll be easiest for Jungkook to feed straight from the source.

"Come here." Jungkook turns back to Namjoon and obeys after a second of hesitation. He stares at the small amount of blood that has started to come from Namjoon's chest. His urge to feed is different than before. It's not blinding and consuming hunger, but rather a relaxed compulsion to taste. "Drink. Quickly, before I heal and I have cut myself again."

Jungkook leans in and licks up the trail of blood before sucking on the wound. Namjoon doesn't wince but he does look away. Jungkook drinks, only focused on the taste of blood and the power coming off Namjoon. He can taste magic in his blood — or at least what he guesses is magic. The blood settles hunger deep in him, like a comforting wave coming over him, until the wound has healed over. He pulls away with hesitation and meets Namjoon's eyes.

"Am I vampire?" Jungkook asks with wide eyes. He finally feels like he can think. The hunger has turned from an uncontrolled raging fire to a small flame that licks at his belly. With it sated, he can process and remember fragments of what he's done the past few days.

"Yes," Namjoon answers after a beat. He reaches for his shirt and dresses himself again. He pulls the hem down and pauses. "I'm sorry. I wish I'd been with you for these past few days. I didn't realized you had turned. Then I couldn't find you. Our kind are good at hiding, even from each other."

Namjoon lets Jungkook think. He unzips his duffle and is met with the overwhelming smell of bloody plastic. He reaches for his other bag to find plastic cups.

"Why me?" Jungkook stares at the blood bags with a hazy look, unable to decide if he really wants them.

"I don't know." Namjoon grabs two cups and a blood bag. He moves to the table and begins to pour blood into each of the cups. "None of us really know how it works or why. Our bite kills everyone we feed from, even if we don't drink a substantial amount of blood. But, on rare occasions, someone turns into a vampire. Oddly enough it's always been Korean males. Taehyung thinks there's some kind of gene pairing on the y-chromosome that-" Namjoon stops himself with a small shake of his head and offers Jungkook a cup. "Sorry. You probably don't care about that right now."

Jungkook takes the cup and chugs it down quickly, the scent immediately overwhelming him with temptation. Namjoon takes a sip of his own and watches Jungkook cringe at the taste.

"It's plastic-y."

"Yeah." Namjoon takes another sip. "It tastes worse when you drink it straight from the bag. But it lessens disappearances. And you don't have to hunt."

Jungkook looks at his feet. Namjoon doesn't have to guess the cocktail of emotions he's experiencing. The elder has gone through it himself. All fledglings have to suffer the same moral dilemma. Jungkook's voice goes quiet. "I've killed so many people. I don't even remember them."

Namjoon pauses. This is one of the moments where he doesn't know what to say. Jungkook has killed a lot of people and his conscious doesn't know how to cope with that yet. It will only come with time. Vampires kill people. It may as well be a natural law. There's no avoiding it.

"Everyone dies eventually."

"What about us?"

"I guess not us." Namjoon downs the rest of his blood. It isn't good, but he's used to the taste. "Help yourself to more. Your body needs it."

Jungkook sits on the bed behind the duffle bag and tears into another one. He finds that, yes, it tastes more like plastic when you drink it straight from the bag.

"I don't understand any of this," Jungkook admits after he's finished. He catches a drop of blood on his lip. He's thought about vampires before, after watching one of those tortuously bad American films, but this is nothing like he imagined. He wouldn't have expected to have so much strength and raw power. It's like he's bursting with it. There's an animal inside threatening to rip out of him and consume every drop of blood in the city.

"I wish I knew how to explain all of this to you." Namjoon watches Jungkook as the younger's timidness shines through. "I've never turned anyone before."

Jungkook looks surprised by that. "Really? How old are you?"

"Um, well, it's hard to keep track. Somewhere around a thousand and nine hundred years."

Jungkook chokes on air, even if he doesn't need to breath. "You- how- if turning vampires is that rare, how many are there?"

"Including you and me," Namjoon begins, "seven."