The Curse of Immortality

Gojoseon (Modern day Korea) Appx 2,580 years ago

Seokjin lives among kings. It's always been easy for him to assert himself in the courts. Human royalty grasps for his power as if it is something they can take. He amuses them by gracing them with his presence. And he doesn't mind the luxuries either.

Seokjin wasn't born a noble, but his unique position allowed him to rise to the status of one. It's still oddly unfamiliar to be considered noble, despite all his years of pretending. He isn't used to having slaves and servants do all physical labor for him. Seokjin allows for opportunities to spoil himself however. The nobility are the only ones who have free access to to the newest technologies and knowledge, and Seokjin prides himself on staying up to date.

Maybe Seokjin will take time off from the pretentious human royals soon. He'll happily disguise himself as a commoner and live a more simple life. The commoners are the most tolerable people to be around. They lack the pretentious nature of noble born humans and they have no knowledge of the magical world's tomfoolery.

Living like a commoner often reaffirms the supernaturals' beliefs that Seokjin is a lesser being. He willingly puts himself in poor conditions, and the community will point fingers and whisper about his low standards. Seokjin doesn't care what they think these days, but Seokjin grows tired of their treatment fast and he will spend his days among kings or commoners if he pleases. He and the Joseon Court have a simply arrangement. Seokjin guards the nobles' lives and in return, Seokjin may feed and gorge himself in luxuries with no consequences.

Lately, discretion isn't something Seokjin cares for. Many other supernatural beings believe in separating themselves from humans, but Seokjin has long since been rejected by supernaturals. Humans are all he has. He just wishes they weren't so annoying. Always consumed by fear and anger. Obsessed with societal constructions. It's exhausting.

"There have been reports of vicious murders coming from the south. Apparently, they're nearing the capital," a handmaid, Seoyun, says to Seokjin as she escorts him to the throne room.

"How vicious?" Seokjin has seen horror. Rivers of blood flow for him daily. His only dreams consist of split veins and silent screams. The human body tears apart so easily in his hands. Very few things are vicious to him anymore. Still, if there is a potential threat, he wants to know what he's up against. Perhaps a pack of werewolves wish to murder the king. That would be a nuisance, but fun nonetheless.

"I hear there are dozens of bodies found everyday. Each one of them is torn open. Their throats are always ripped out. No one knows what kind of monster it is." Seoyun walks swiftly to keep up with Seokjin's strides. "Some people thought it was you sir, but of course that couldn't be true."

Seokjin huffs out a chuckle. He could do such horrible things to the people of this land — show them what hell really is. But Seoyun is right. Seokjin has been in the capitol. He hasn't been dropping bodies. If he had, the royals would've covered them up.

"Is the council on schedule for dinner tonight?" Seokjin asks.

"Yes sir. All four of them. They're eager to meet with you and Gija-orabeoni."

Seokjin scoffs. Gija Chumo considers himself to be a descendant of gods. Seokjin finds him incredibly intolerable company, but Chumo is also in one the upper most positions of the court. Now Seokjin has to sit through an entire dinner with him and the council.

"They're only eager to try and get rid of me. Perhaps I should travel west for a while and grant them their wish. I'll be the Persian Empire's problem for a few years."

"I would miss you dearly."

Seokjin doesn't believe that, but he makes no comment. He likes spending time in his birth country, but he knows is unrealistic to stay in one place. His appetite would destroy populations.