When The Sun Sets

Samhan (Modern day Korea) Appx. 2,100 years ago

Seokjin and Yoongi deserve a break. The past month their lives has consisted of avoiding Tibetan dragons who were trying to discover if their fire killed vampires. It wasn't a pleasent experience for Seokjin or Yoongi or the dragon who found out vampire bites were lethal the hard way.

So Seokjin and Yoongi decided to head home. Of course, Gogoseon wasn't really there anymore. The Han Empire invaded it a few decades and took over most of the land that was once the vampires' birthplace. But borders are just human constructions. The area is still their home and they intend to spend time there while they try to forget what dragon fire feels like.

Samhan isn't under the Han Empire's control. It's technically three separate confederacies, but the culture of Gogoseon is surviving in all of them. Mahan is the largest area. The vampires figure that it isn't a bad place to spend there time. It'll hopefully be quiet.

Guso is the statelet that the vampires decide to spend time in. Most of its economy is in rice farming. Most of the southwest area is agricultural, unlike the industrial iron forging going on in the southeast. They'll have to tread lightly. Guso isn't a particularly small area, but it isn't densely populated either. They both agree that killing locals would raise too much suspicion.

However, sometimes they can't themselves. Like when they both catch the scent of something divine as they travel the streets just after sundown. Their heads snap around at nearly the same time, both of them focusing in on the same man. He's standing on the edge of the street tending to a vegetable cart. Yoongi looks at every inch of him that isn't covered by his hanbok. His skin is golden, a telltale sign that he spends most of his days working in the sun. The expression he wears is a tired one, but he has the slightest dimples as he focused on putting away the remaining produce.

Seokjin and Yoongi meet each other's eyes. The older vampire can already see that Yoongi's eyes are dilated and his breathing has come to a complete stop. He's already on the hunt. Seokjin backs down easy, always soft for Yoongi.

Yoongi stifles a smile as he crosses the street and makes his way to the man. He adjusts his hanbok as he tries to inhale more of that scent. It isn't sweet, but rather flowery. Yoongi can already imagine the taste on his tongue. It's not often that they come across humans that are so perfect.

"Excuse me, do you have any ginger left?" Yoongi asks as he stops beside the man. The man pauses to look up at Yoongi. Yoongi sees him swallow. "Everyone else seems to be out."

"Ah I-" The man pulls of the lid of one his boxes to reveal ginger root. "Yes. It also goes quick this time of year."

Yoongi beams. The mans voice is just as pleasing as his scent. Yoongi couldn't give a damn about ginger when such a meal is in front of him.

"Two roots then?" Yoongi retrieves his coins. "My friend adores ginger tea but we don't know any good shops around here."

"Oh are you new to the area?" The man offers Yoongi the roots and takes the money in exchange.

"We just came from the north. It's terribly hectic nowadays."

"Well my favorite shop is just at the end of street."

"Lovely. We'll try it soon." Yoongi smiles again and gives a slight bow. "I'm Yoongi by the way."

"Ah, Hoseok," the man replies. He bows back and Yoongi catches sight of the back of his neck. It'd be so easy to just take everything Yoongi wants. But that kind of hunt is no fun.

"Can I offer a hand?" Yoongi gestures to the cart. Hoseok's eye light up a little.

"I- If you'd like. It gets lonely this late." Hoseok replaces the lid to the ginger and Yoongi reaches to secure the cabbages.