Stirring Galaxies

Goguryeo (Modern Day Korea) appx 1,800 years ago

A man is lying in the grass. A dead man named Kim Namjoon. The world around him is still as the night sleeps. The soft sound of crickets and the nearby stream making a peaceful place for a dead man to rest.

Namjoon's eyes fly open. Air floods his lungs as he wills himself to move. He doesn't get far, can't even sit up. The stars in the sky distract him. They've never been so clear before. The night above him is deep, like he could reach up and stir the galaxy with one hand.

Namjoon rolls onto his side. The blood in the grass is illuminated by the moon. How did Namjoon get here? He furrows his brows and pushes himself to a sitting position.

The forest around Namjoon is familiar. It's the same path he walks everyday. Before sundown, Namjoon studies the flora and fauna of the area for his own curiosity. He looks around for his lantern but sees nothing.

With much effort, Namjoon crawls to the stream and takes a long drink. He splashes his face and touches the wound on his neck.

Something had attacked him. A person.

Namjoon remembers startling when he saw a man in the forest. It's usually so empty. Then Namjoon had laughed and said hello. They talked for a while. Seokjin was his name. Namjoon explained why he was out so far from the town — studying the growth patterns of plants. He mentioned wishing he had an easy way of keeping track of the seasons instead of writing on tree bark. Seokjin has mentioned the recent Chinese invention of paper. Namjoon said that he wished he could get his hands on some.

Then... Seokjin had come closer. And teeth were digging into Namjoon's neck.

What kind of man does such a thing?

Namjoon slowly rises to his feet. He must have passed out after. Putting one foot in front of the other, he heads towards the town. He should warn the others that a dangerous stranger is nearby.

But... there's a scent in the air. Something that smells like life itself. It's calling to Namjoon. Becoming him closer with promises of strength and tastes of heaven.

Namjoon sees no reason to stop himself.

Meanwhile, three vampires are contemplating when to leave town. It should be soon. This town is small. Even one or two disappearances earns attention. Hell, the three of them standing on the road this late would probably get attention for being suspicious.

"Where are heading next?" Hoseok asks. As the youngest, he often follows the others wherever they wish, even after a few centuries.

Yoongi glances at Seokjin. The oldest vampire is looking at the woods with furrowed brows. He won't be answering.

"I was thinking we should head towards the west," Yoongi says. "We've been in the country too long."

Hoseok hums. Life is nothing but back and forth for them. He figures traveling the world could never get boring. Not when the world changes so often. It's so different than when he was born.

"Did you two hunt while I was gone?" Seokjin asks suddenly.

"You know we didn't," Yoongi says. He looks at Seokjin and the direction of the woods. Nothing seems out of the ordinary. 

"It was your turn," Hoseok adds.

Seokjin's mouth parts to taste the air. There's a scent... Without a word, he takes off down the road.

Hoseok casts a questioning look at Yoongi. He shrugs before following the oldest vampire.